Bright Desk Fees?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by C Robinson, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Of course it is nobody's business....

However, knowing how someone is compensated can tell you quite a bit about their motivations in their business practices.

For instance, if you go to buy a car at Saturn, you will find their salesmen very low key, as they do not "bargain" price.

If you go to see a financial planner, and he has products that he gets a kickback if you buy those products, he is more likely to push them.

If you saw a financial planner who had no vested interest in the outcome of the sale, he would be objective.

My point, which I make time and time again, is that Don is a "paying sponsor."

He has an agenda, he will twist the truth, sling mud on the competition, and he stands back and says, "I am just this simple guy who is a good guy."

That is a load of crap, and I don't trust someone who is shoveling shit my way.

If Don came out and said, "I make more money if I recruit people to Bright and they trade and generate commissions" at least I know he would be starting from a platform of honesty.

If he said, "Hey, bottom line is I don't give a crap about whether or not people make money in this business, as long as I make money, " then he would be credible---at least honest.

He is a salesman, compensated on the basis of performance of Bright firms, so he has motivation and reason to do whatever it takes to recruit traders.

That he claims Bright is the "best" in a scummy industry, doesn't score points in my book.

Hey, Bright's home office is in Vegas....Hello!?!?!?!?

That is the bottom line.

#41     Dec 2, 2002
  2. So Don Bright comes into the Chat Room and offers up a challenge to debate me on the trading issues and business issues I bring up.

I accept the challenge, of course.

They he says that the condition is that I reveal my identity.

Why is that? What does it matter who I am?

That is the problem in our society with debates these days. It becomes a popularity contest and a mudslinging event. The focus has gone from substantive issues to personality, and the credibility of the person speaking.

Credibility is in the facts, not the fiction. Facts that can be verified. Facts that can be disputed with other facts. Reasoning that can be evaluated as to flawed logic.

Does it really matter who is saying something, if what they say is the truth?

Did the child who pointed out that the emperor had no clothes on have less credibility than the emperor's court who said "what fine clothes?"

Debates should be about issues, not personalities.

How many check the facts after a presidential debate to see if the data was correct and factual?

Since Don has decided to focus on my personality as an issue, I suspect that is just another of his tricks to avoid looking at the issues I bring forth.

My issues are plain and clear, and waiting for a response, whether in a forum like this or a debate.

It doesn't matter who I am.

I may or may not have a financial interest in discrediting Bright, but does that really matter if what I am saying is true, if the questions I ask are relevant and important?

I have learned not to use the words "just trust me" in my vocabulary. No one should trust me or anyone else on the basis of their comments.

Trust the ability to reason, put two and two together, follow the money trail, and use common sense.

Common sense tells me that Don is a confidence artist/salesman and marketing professional in a rather seamy business.

#42     Dec 2, 2002
  3. so, now, the $1K class is not a requirement anymore? It certainly was and come out of you, I asked and others asked, face to face.
    Can you confirm that $1K class is no longer a requirement anymore? I'm sure this will get a lot of people interested in Bright.
    Additionally, When you provides a class, it is a good thing from Bright. However, whether taking the class is better for a trader or not, it always should be trader's decision. Some wished is not the same as everyone. Do you agree?

#43     Dec 2, 2002
  4. Sorry, 777....I don't want to get into another hassle with you, but it's impossible to debate an anonymous entity. Heck, even the bad guys take "credit" for what they do....just a bio to make the playing field level....you have the advantage, because you have information of who I am from from my public appearance, and then you make your own assumptions from there.

As I said before, no harm, no foul....I just thought it would be fun to have an open debate....perhaps in the future......

Don

#44     Dec 2, 2002
  5. Why do you need to know who he is ...

#45     Dec 2, 2002
  6. Of course you can debate an anonymous entity. It happens all the time. Listen to Rush Limbaugh or the many other talk shows where people call in to debate the host. Happens all the time, many times a day.

That you have a need for my identity begs the question, why?

What difference does it make who I am?

Either what I say will be true and verifiable or false, reasonable or nonsense, which anyone can decide for themselves through mental processes or research.

I want to debate issues, not personality or backgrounds.

In the words of Joe Friday, "Just the facts, mam."

You can have your position and all that goes with it, I will take my nobody status and meet you head on. I see that as a level playing field. I will take what you have written in your posts, you can take what I have written.

What do you have to lose, right? After all, you are the "good guy, the simple man just trying to help the poor traders, right?"

It should be a walk in the part for you, right?

After all, you can always try to discredit what I say by coming back and saying "he is anonymous....therefore don't believe what he is saying."

But, I don't want people to "believe" what I am saying, or what you are saying. I want them to analyze the facts, and apply common sense.

What could be better than that?

I see you are going to back out on this one Don.

Not surprising, actually. You would lose.

#46     Dec 2, 2002
  7. It has never been a requirement for our in-office traders. The Exchange (or SRO) made it a requirement for our remote traders who haven't traded in an office. We strongly encourage the 5 day class because it covers much more than just trading, like how the business works, clearing procedures, and all the rest that is beneficial to professionals in this game of ours.

I really have a hard time with the traders making their own decisions as to whether to take training or not. We take it very seriously, and work hard with our people, and simply want them to take this as serious as we do. It really is a true partnership in the way we operate, not just in name alone.

Hope this helps...

Don

#47     Dec 2, 2002
  8. True partnership?

Oh, are you putting up the money, participating in the losses, sharing the commission costs?

Laugh my ass off on your response on this one Don. You have outdone yourself this time.

Where can I get "partners" to take all the risk while I collect revenues from their activities.

#48     Dec 2, 2002
  9. How about just sending a bio to Baron, I don't need to know more than that to be able to feel comfortable in the discussion. You have seemed to put this into the personal category, with the pictures and t-shirts (actually kinda cute, but nevertheless) and the (mostly good humored) remarks, etc. All I ask is that I don't set myself up with some nut case...and you know what I mean by that (not saying you are, but we live in a very strange world now). Just 2 gentlemen discussing the trading business....no more, no less.

I take back the "challenge" if that is what it appeared to be to you....I thought it would be more of a fun event.

Good Luck with your trading....

Peace!!

Don

#49     Dec 2, 2002
  10. Bullet

Bullet

Not to get in the middle of this argument/discussion, but when i started trading 3+ years ago, I took a required class at the shop I was at (retail not prop) and it was 100% worthless. It was the largest waste of money I have taken part in. If Don has a good class that provides true training (money managment, mental games, scalping, and speed) than I find few faults in his recommendation to all his traders to take (and pay) it. And the firm I started at (which was not Bright) will remain nameless because I still have some ill feelings toward them, thus I am a far cry from objective when it comes to them.
    777, I understand your previous points, I even agree with a few of them. HOWEVER, I would agree with Don that it would be interesting (if for no other reason than to curb our curiosity) to hear your bio and what firm you represent, if you do at all.

Either way, keep up the open debate, but always keep it civil. We are traders, not thugs.

#50     Dec 2, 2002