Brief high intensity bodyweight workout at home without equipment

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Dec 31, 2018.

1. bone

bone

Kettlebells count as equipment - but they're cheap, you only need a few of them, and they take up very little room in terms of storage.

In fact, my trainer had me start out with just one kettlebell: a 35 pounder.

You'll need a safe space free from pets and kids for the swing workout. It's not a bad way to consolidate some cardio with strength and flexibility training in terms of time management. Form and technique are really important - or you can hurt yourself. I hired a kettlebell trainer at the local crossfit gym to show me the primary exercises and to come up with a schedule. I thought I was in decent shape dividing my time between the elliptical and free weights at my gym up to that point - but the kettlebells absolutely smoked me. I've had four knee surgeries but the kettlebells don't seem to aggravate that. Admittedly I'm not as aggressive as my trainer with the lunges, but that's just the way it is.

#31     Jan 5, 2019
  2. From time to time, I see people swinging kettlebells in the gym. What is it for? I never understood the point.

#32     Jan 5, 2019
  3. bone

bone

It’s one of those things that you truly have to try in order to appreciate. Some of the earliest westerners to use them were the British SAS and US Special Forces. They had done some joint exercises with Spetsnaz (Russian Special Forces) in the early 90’s and noticed how much better shape they were in from a stamina and strength perspective - and they found out about kettlebells. They’ve been around for hundreds of years and are a national sport in Russia. Again, this is technical lifting and requires correct form in order to avoid injury. Men’s Health has quite a few articles about kettlebell routines on the net. There’s quite a bit on YouTube as well.

The kettlebell swings are unique (to me) in that you are blasting the crap out of your core and you are really getting your heart pumping. You can do sets with the same weight or you can do ladders.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    #33     Jan 5, 2019
  4. Great overall body and high intensity trianing workout. Depending on whether you do Russian or American but you will mainly hit your hammies, glutes, back, shoulders, abs, forearms as well as many stabilizers. Best of all your heart rate/cardio gets up there like a sprint. It is not an Olympic lift for pure straight lifting but like a dead lift where you hit a bunch of muscle groups with added plus high intensity.

The biggest benefit is the area between the knees and chest as you need solid legs and core to control the kettlebell and force to generate the thrust to lift it above your head and then return it controlled without dropping it.

It is not for everybody but as was mentioned you have to do them to appreciate them. You start with 35lbs. but I have seen kettles up to 100lbs. and require a lot of power and strength to handle. Most linear lifters don't want to do swings which is fine, it is often used for overall body toning and conditioning and you can build muscle when you go really heavy.

#34     Jan 6, 2019
  5. I've never picked up a kettlebell, so I don't speak from experience. But I would imagine there are safer ways to get in shape.

Weight, momentum, high-rep volume: what could go wrong? :D

#35     Jan 7, 2019
  6. You could rip out your shoulder doing dumbbell presses so not sure what is the point.

#36     Jan 7, 2019
  7. You can do all kinds of damage with improper form and/or momentum, so I'm not sure what your point is either.

#37     Jan 7, 2019
  8. Because you admit you know nothing about kettlebells but proceed to comment there are safer ways to work out and that you are likely to get hurt doing it.

You can say you personally are not interested in that type of equipment but as usual you have to make a negative comment about it as though it is a stupid way to workout.

Are you unable to accept the fact that people can lift weights and work out in ways other than what you deem acceptable?

When you see something that you know nothing about, admittedly, do you still feel the need to give an uninfomred opinion?

Is it an age thing?

#38     Jan 7, 2019
    Clubber Lang and speedo like this.
  9. No, it's a momentum thing. It's a risk/reward thing. I may not have used kettlebells, but I've had my share of run-ins with momentum over the years.

I am giving my opinion, as you are giving yours. And I qualified my opinion by disclosing that I have never used kettlebells, so that my opinion can be taken with a larger than usual grain of salt. What more do you want? Apart from acquiescence, of course.

#39     Jan 7, 2019
  10. It is just a pattern where when anything is discussed that you don't personally use or have tried, your comments are always criticism. Is that being part of a useful discussion? Look back at all posts where something is discussed (not directed at you specifically) and you join in only to criticize? Sorry we are not on your master level.

Is it hard for you to keep quiet when others are talking? Do you go to parties and interrupt everyone when you think they are wrong and correct them. Must be fun huh?

I think it is best to put you on ignore because I know no matter what is said you are simply going to shit on it because you know best. Sadly in your mind you are just giving an "opinion" but if every opinion is basically negative because it is not your way well then....speaks volumes. That is what opinion means to you haha. No one needs acquiescence but no one asked for your constant negative opinion. Who was president the last time you were wrong?

That is what I meant by age, too old to accept other people's methods work for them and feel the need to correct people.

Don't bother replying, I am hitting ignore as soon as I hit Post reply.

Maybe in the future when someone mentions something you don't know anything about, let those who do discuss and ask questions/be open minded. You are never too old to change.

#40     Jan 7, 2019