Brief high intensity bodyweight workout at home without equipment

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Dec 31, 2018.

1. luisHK

luisHK

I get your point but you got me confused here. Compared to the way I measure waist that would mean you would wear like 48 suit size, which seems very slim for your weight, you wouldn't be able to fit strong thighs in there, let alone your upper back and shoulders. That's what happens with the size 50s i used to wear a few years back when significantly slimmer and less muscular. Yet google tells me you are probably wearing size 54, I must be measuring waist wrong, as I can still wear 54 (56 might be better...) but tape several inches more than you ?!?
    Not sure how hip size plays into that.

#161     May 31, 2019
  2. RRY16

RRY16

Try and wrestle up some trim, that should boost your confidence.

#162     May 31, 2019
  3. destriero

destriero

Capt is 6'5" while standing on a stool.

Capt overhead at the Cheetah Gym, "He must work out!"

#163     May 31, 2019
  4. One more for the road, this time looking at the addition of single joint exercises to multiple joint exercises in subjects using steroids and subjects not using steroids:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...pometric_changes_in_recreational_bodybuilders

...In conclusion, our study shows that the addition of SJ [single joint] exercises to MJ [multiple joint] exercises brings no additional benefit in terms of muscle performance and anthropometric [size] changes in trained men, either if they were using AAS [androgenic anabolic steroids] or not.

Of course, the drug users had better outcomes than did the non-users, but this was independent of the performance of SJ exercises.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    #164     Jun 3, 2019
  5. Not having a gym membership is inexcusable IMO. To me if you don't have a gym membership that you use , you don't understand life and what creates happiness.
    I don't know anyone that needs less physical stimulus and less reason to leave the house in 2019.
    If you want to understand training, get Supertraining by Verkhoshansky and Siff.
    They figured everything out 30 years ago. There is nothing left to learn.

#165     Jun 4, 2019
  6. My understanding is that periodization has no real value for anyone other than competitive athletes to time their readiness for competition.

#166     Jun 4, 2019
  7. No one has commented on these findings, but they are a pretty big deal if accepted at face. Consider the number (and sets) of single joint exercises that most people do. I've seen some people in the gyms I've worked out at focusing most of their efforts on SJ exercises. And although they have never been my focus, I've done my share of SJs in years past. According to the above noted studies, collectively examining everyone from novices to steroid users, if the appropriate compound exercises were performed (which they always should be), then all of the SJ exercises were a waste of time and recovery resources. Not to mention useless wear and tear.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    #167     Jun 8, 2019
    TRS likes this.
  8. I stopped doing skater squats several months ago. I hurt one side of my lower back a little bit early last year in a non-exercise related incident, and I found that the skaters exacerbated it. This is because I had to really arch my back on the side of the non-working leg to keep it from touching the ground in order to get any real depth with the working leg.

And so, I'm back to doing pistols, ATG, but with only a couple of light dumbbells mostly for counterbalance. I'm doing them more slowly, smoothly and with no lapse in tension throughout the set. This is unlike the "breathing" pistols that I had done in the past with heavier dumbbells, which I did faster and which required that I lock my knees at the top of the movement about half way through the set to catch my breath for a couple of seconds so I could continue. Because it's smoother and lighter, I'm sure it's safer. To failure, of course. Whereas I did 17 to 19 reps with the breathers, I top out at a couple reps shy of this range with the lighter dumbbells and no release in tension throughout.

It only occurred to me to update my earlier post because yesterday I came across the facebook page of the guy who dissed the pistols in favor of the skaters. The guy has his clients doing some goofball exercises, so his credibility has taken a dip as far as I'm concerned:

https://www.facebook.com/AdvancedHumanPerformance

So much for that "advanced human performance" interlude.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    #168     Jan 5, 2020
  9. TRS

TRS

Thanks for that. As I’ve got older compound multi joint exercises are basically all I do.
    Less time spent in the gym, stronger feel in the body, less wear and tear and just easier on the body.
    Especially once you have a good base of training, multi joint exercises just make sense holistically.
    My biceps are something that need just that little bit of attention and are easily isolated with 3 sets of barbell curls once a week. Nothing major there.
    If I do squats, dips, push-up variations, overhead barbell press, pull-ups, upright rows ( yep, I know the supposed dangers ) I’ve got my MY requirements covered.
    Good to see a supporting paper on Multi joint training.

#169     Jan 8, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  10. Hahaha.........I watched his FB videos. Goofball is an understatement. The benefit of those exercises is questionable and many of them look like they are prone to accidents.

#170     Jan 8, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.