Bridgewater doubles down on bets against European stocks

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Jun 24, 2022.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

Bridgewater Associates, the world's biggest hedge fund, has almost doubled its short bets against European stocks in the past week, according to a report by Bloomberg.

The firm, which was founded by Ray Dalio, now holds $10.5 billion in short positions including individual bets of over $50 million against several firms including ASML Holding NV, TotalEnergies SE, Sanofi and SAP SE.

All 28 of the companies shorted by Bridgewater are included in the Euro Stoxx 50 index.

2. Overnight

Overnight

Send that info over to WSB. I bet they would try to long those new "memes" Teehee.

3. Nobert

Nobert

I saw quite a few overpriced average/garbage names, but the fact that they are so ,,open" about it, especially when to qoute Ray from one of his Bloomberg interviews :
    ,,I will not disclose our positions" ~~~

something-is-fishy-actor-harsha.gif

4. d08

d08

Shorting ASML in the current environment just seems stupid.

5. And shorting MBSs also seemed just so incredibly stupid at one time too.

6. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Almost all traders / managers / funds, tell you what they want. Undoubtedly, Bridgewater has other positions to offset the shorts. Possibly just long S&P. Maybe even vs some calls in Europe, or even short puts, to offset some risk. Maybe they just wanted to publicize position, to encourage others to sell, so they could cover. Never worth time/effort,money, to follow any particular trader, etc.

7. maxinger

maxinger

make sense to short those things.
    euro stoxx 50 is on the downtrend.

But he should have shorted those stocks earlier.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022