Brian Hunter left Amaranth

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Sep 27, 2006.

1. I'm sure it didn't escape them. But over and over again I've seen that those that have had a huge run tend to get treated differently despite what prudence would suggest.

Let me add to that I'm sure everyone knew that they were in big trouble long before the actual blowup. There was just no out except a turn in the market. From what I have gathered from the news reports, other big buck groups shot their lights out betting against them once it was realized that they were overleveraged in a illiquid market.

#31     Sep 30, 2006
  2. you are forgetting to include $$ from his upcoming book

#32     Sep 30, 2006
  3. Cutten

Cutten

He could buy inflation-linked bonds, or just emigrate to the Bahamas.

Besides, when you have tens of millions, who cares about the interest? Live off the capital, baby.

#34     Oct 22, 2006
  4. Cutten

Cutten

Believe me, that gets boring after a few years.

#35     Oct 22, 2006
  5. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from eagle488:

...Ferrari pulls up to the curb, middle aged man jumps out and a young early-20s all slutted out comes out with him..

sigh...I wish I could find out! :p

#36     Oct 22, 2006
  6. chartie

chartie

Amaranth’s Golden Goose That Laid An Egg
    December 2006
    DailyII.com

Amaranth Advisors has paid the price for putting a lot of its eggs in one basket in more ways than one. The Connecticut-based firm that famously lost $6.6 billion not only kept too much of its bets in energy at the wrong time, but now it is emerging that it handed over control of too much of its assets to just one person – Brian Hunter, according to Bloomberg News. Amaranth could have possibly avoided disaster, says BN, had founder Nicholas Mauonis let the energy whiz Hunter take a million-dollar bait cast in April 2005 by HF guru Steven Cohen to move to Greenwich, Conn.-based SAC Capital Advisors. To keep Hunter, BN reports, Mauonis made him co-head of Amaranth’s energy desk, let him control his own trades and then eventually entrusted half of the firm’s assets to his nimble brain. The beginning of the end for Amaranth, notes BN, came when the firm lost money from its credit bets after Standard & Poor’s cut General Motors and Ford Motors’ credit ratings. Maounis turned to Hunter to “do something,” since he was making money hand over fist from his natural-gas bets – especially after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita swept into the Southeast and Hunter’s investments made $1 billion as a result. Investors and some staffers saw a natural-gas bet disaster in the making, and tried to pull their money, but, as BN says, it was too late for many. “Amaranth’s demise is not due to some complicated quantitative reason,” Hank Higdon of New York-based recruiter Higdon Partners told Bloomberg News. “It’s about human failing and frailty.”

#37     Dec 17, 2006
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

That was Steven Cohen's best 1 million dollar he never spent...

#38     Dec 17, 2006