BREXIT

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oldnemesis, Jun 24, 2016.

1. benwm

benwm

Agreed. Do you know who appointed Juncker? Has anyone in his position ever been removed against his wishes? Says a lot about EU democracy.

In contrast, I'm quite impressed with how Merkel has handled the situation so far. Germany is the key player in the negotiations with the UK. And Merkel and Cameron have a very good relationship, she will respect Cameron for trying his best to keep the UK in, and probably still holds out some hope that the UK will stay. We'll see..

#51     Jun 27, 2016
  2. Everybody understands the goal. The problem is that just having noble goals isn't sufficient. A poorly thought out plan to reach that goal can set one back, rather than move one forward.

#52     Jun 27, 2016
  3. I have to make this about options or we'll be moved.
    I hate when they do that.

How about my SPY trade? (SPY thread)
    How about an option trade on the British ETF?

Lets make some money from all this wisdom so I can afford a trip to Paris in the fall.

#53     Jun 27, 2016
  4. conduit

conduit

Of course not everyone. But a majority of the European decision maker do that the stance that the UK should now move forward. Most in Merkel's cabinet and its conservative coalition partner take the same stance where Merkel did not want to be so direct. I would not say that Christine Lagarde of the IMF certainly does not belong to the camp you described, neither do many of the conservative ministers that met this past weekend.

What hold the UK back is very relevant, in fact it is relevant to many hundred million consumers in Europe.

Could it be that you actually hold a certain motivation? You may dislike the European experiment as a whole and you are entitled to such opinion. But I think after the UK has held Europe hostage for so long and after European leaders have made clear to Cameron that there was not more to get in his attempt to gain more concessions, and after the UK has made very clear that the referendum is binding it very much matters that the UK now swiftly moves forward to implement the decision that was made. And it does beg the question of the real rational behind this standstill on the UK's side. Everyone is nervous, this move has far reaching consequences even regarding national security and whether the UK stands read to defend Europe's borders on Europe's own grounds rather than Nato's. The UK claims it is still a full member of the European Union. Would that equally apply if Russia tomorrow invaded a European Member state? Would the UK stand read to participate with own resources? Those are pressing and incredibly important questions that need to be urgently addressed.

I am of course ironic but it begs the question whether the Euro 2016 cups plays a part here or similarly completely self-serving reasons. So, I repeat what keeps the UK from acting now? It more and more appears as if the UK took a bold stance and now the morning-after causes a lot of headaches and regrets. Still the guest has to vacate the hotel room by noon.

#54     Jun 27, 2016
  5. benwm

benwm

6. conduit

conduit

And perhaps the reason European architects did not plan in detail for such event was because there was an implicit understanding that nations understand the decisions they made decades ago and that it was utter nonsense to subject such important decision to a referendum where liars and those who falsify truth are allowed to brain wash the gullible. By broad agreement in the UK the issue centered around immigration and the rest was mostly emotional rather than factual. Why then has the UK never really come up with much better solutions and suggestions. After all, to stick with facts, has the UK never even accepted immigrants or refuges in large numbers. The numbers paled in comparison even to the number refugees way smaller nations in Europe accepted. So many emotions in play and so little facts on the table.

#56     Jun 27, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  7. conduit

conduit

Ah, your arguments get more and more confusing. So you want the leaders domestically to resign promptly but you have no qualms about the UK standing pat and holding the rest of Europe and the world hostage. Confused...

#57     Jun 27, 2016
  8. Was the hope drunk wherein you dressed yourself
    And hath it slept since and awakened to find itself so pale and wan at what it did so freely
    ........................................................................Lady Macbeth

A year from today all those who voted to exit will awaken and find themselves pale and wan at what they did so freely.

#58     Jun 27, 2016
  9. toolazy

toolazy

where all these eu related emotions from ?

original europeans have been eradicated by influx of indians, slavics and chinese, over centuries organized by catholics/muslims orthodox elite to claim area and people.

now, these immigrants crying and pretending they are something that are not?!!?!?!

english appear least affected by this genetic modification, due to island structure of country. Not bad idea to keep it that way.

#59     Jun 27, 2016
  10. OPTIONS:

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=spy

With SPY at 203.13

Sept 205/200 bear put spread for a net debit of $207

Price........ Profit / Loss........ ROI %
    150.00............ 293.00.......... 141.55%
    170.00............ 293.00.......... 141.55%
    190.00............ 293.00.......... 141.55%
    200.00............ 293.00.......... 141.55%
    202.93................ 0.00............. 0.00%
    205.00........... (207.00)....... -100.00%