Brent/WTI Spread

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by diablo11, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Oktogon

Oktogon

I'm looking to move on from Interactive Brokers, because I would like to start trading the ICE Brent-WTI spread contract which IB don't support.
    I'm considering moving to Advantage Futures with CQG Trader or CTS T4.

A couple of questions for the experts:
    Will the platforms I'm considering support trading the ICE Brent-WTI spread contract?
    Are calendar spreads on the ICE Brent-WTI spread tradable?

#21     Feb 24, 2012
  2. bone

bone

Use the ICE exchange supported spread. Best way to do it.

#22     Feb 24, 2012
  3. agate

agate

Hello bone, I like the way you have explained it, especially in graphical format.

#23     Feb 29, 2012
  4. i am using CTS T4 for spreads trading. ICE Brent/WTI is a intra contract spread traded on ICE. (WTI is light sweet crude traded on ICE, CL is light sweet crude on NYMEX)
    you will see prices like -18.48/ -18.44 in the ladder. Bids/offers are continually updated by autospreaders so it is pretty tradable.
    Obviously CTS T4 also supports calendar spreads and crack spreads.
    FYI, wti/brent spread margin is about 3k (second month)

#24     Mar 17, 2012
  5. this may sound a little foolish but i'd rather ask than stay ignorant.

Can you daytrade spreads?
    Are they tradeable through TT? Do i have to manually make a spread?

#25     Mar 17, 2012

6. Day trading is possible however a bit wild nowadays.
    Didn't trade any intra commodity spread in X_trader before but traded calendars. It must be possible in ICE exchange as a exchange traded spread. (afterall x_trader is the ferrari of trading platforms)
    I don't think there will be need for manual spread definition (and x_trader pro)

also note that spread is defined as WTI/brent on ICE (has big negative values nowadays)

#26     Mar 17, 2012
  7. bone

bone

TT supports the exchange-supported spreads, which in MDTrader appear as a single price ladder. You can also use TT software to automatically leg custom spread configurations that you build into AutoSpreader or AutoTrader. Be very careful about exchange message-to-fill ratio policies if you are frequently quoting and changing prices along with the market fluctuations.

You do not have to manually trade a spread if an exchange offers an exchange-supported spread - in other words, the exchange has in internal order-matching algorithm that does it for you.

You can daytrade spreads. You can swing trade spreads. There is alot of flexibility here. Much more than with trading singular instruments due to the number of combinations and permutations and actual construction of the spread product you create.

#27     Mar 18, 2012