Brent/WTI Spread

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by diablo11, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rosy2

rosy2

agreed. most people start trading thinking they are a market wizard picking direction when in reality 99.999999% of people who make a living doing this are spreaders of one kind or another

#11     Dec 9, 2011
  2. a little off topic, but does anyone know how i can make a spread chart on Bloomberg....say a xlf/spy spread chart?

#12     Dec 20, 2011
  3. try this...

XLF<EQUITY>SPY<EQUITY><GO>

#13     Dec 21, 2011
  4. so ET doesn't allow certain keys i guess so here's the format you need to compare two symbols

ticker 1 equity ticker 2 equity go

#14     Dec 21, 2011
  5. thank you

#15     Dec 21, 2011
  6. so i'm a real noob at bloomberg and i'd like to do some spread charts

I typed xlfspy but terminal gives me nada...anyone have a clue where i need to go in order to get these charts plotted.

#16     Dec 21, 2011
  7. Simplest is, XLF equity SPY equity GR go, then click tabs 51, 52, 53 at bottom left as desired.

#17     Dec 21, 2011
  8. Well, what else is a WTI-Brent spread trader doing other than picking a direction before he enters a trade ?

The spread can go up or down, just like the WTI/USD ("outright") trade.

So what's the benefit ? Does the spread trend more smoothly ?

Is there less chopp ? Or are you better protected against sudden, unexpected market movements ?

I can see how one would enter a spread trade for seasonal or fundamental reasons ( brent becoming more expensive than WTI because of fundamental reason x) but to a technical trader, price action is price action, no matter whether you are trading the Google/Corn spread or the ES outright.

Would love to hear your reasons for spread trading.

#18     Dec 27, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

There real fundamental drivers driving the WTI/Brent spread. There is a lot of noise in outright crude trading. The fundamental drivers create much smoother trends and the spread market is 10 times more liquid then the outrights. Most people that buy or sell Crude are really just making another bet on the S&P vs the WTI/Brent spread.

#19     Dec 27, 2011
  10. #20     Feb 13, 2012