Brent Scowcroft - NSA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by waggie945, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I don't know since half his predictions turned out to be false.

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace--but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

--Patrick Henry March 23,1775

2. If Mav wants death, by all means send him to Iraq ASAP.

3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ahh, ART, I think I will let Samuel Adams respond to you:

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. "

Samuel Adams

4. It's not about "half his predictions" as you say, becoming false.
    It's about having the kind of insight that Brent Scowcroft had at the time of his article, back in August of 2002.

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Waggie, I hate to break this to you, but many people had that insight in 1991. His insight is neither revolutionary or inspiring. In fact, he is pretty far back in the line.

6. So, please tell us the names of the individuals that were standing in line, well ahead of Scowcroft.

Thanks.

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well smart guy, let's start with Michael Hauben.

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/CS/iraq1991.txt

Read that and get back to me.

8. Turok

Turok

What Hauben had is called "hindsight", not "insight". There is a BIG difference.

JB

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes but he said 13 years ago exactly what people are saying today. They are using his exact words to describe what unfolded 13 years to whats going on today. Therefore Brent Scowcroft is not using insight either, but rather hindsight. That was my point. Not that Hauben was a visionary, but rather this Scowcroft character is simply repeating what has already been said ad nauseam.

#10     Mar 30, 2004