Breaking news on Kerry

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Feb 12, 2004.

1. I'm just lowering my expectations. But, really, the ruthlessness and cunning of this administration should not be underestimated.

m

#211     Feb 21, 2004
  2. Agree, don't underestimate the opponents.

Voter registration and getting people out to vote will be the difference maker.

#212     Feb 21, 2004
  3. It's funny how people view things. I know a lot of liberals would agree with the above statement. I know a good bit of Dean's popularity was due to the fact that liberals felt their elected leaders were cowards and sellouts and finally here was a guy with a pair.

Now the irony is that conservatives have been saying the exact same thing for years, just switch the labels. It is an article of faith that the media is leftwing. Conservatives feel their elected leaders are spineless cowards who wet their pants at the sight of Kennedy or Hillary. Conservatives know that the left will do anything to win elections, witness Florida and numerous other frauds, all to advance their evil obsession to destroy everything this country stands for.

#213     Feb 22, 2004
  4. cdbern

cdbern

It is not that UNcommon for a candidate to go into the convention without sufficient delegates to automatically get the nomination. Given that, there are hours and hours of behind the scene negotiations, states/candidates unwilling to give up their delegates without concessions from the "other" side. It gets very heated and intense.

While there is a movement afoot for Hillary to enter the fray, she knows the Party is not yet ready to hand her the nomination. Despite her supposed popularity, it is not sufficient to win the election. Simply put, the Party just isn't ready for her.

Women voters supporting her? In her dreams. The type of women who would support/vote for her are every mans nightmare.

Yes she enjoys a degree of stature and respect, however it is mostly out of fear. The fact that she is RUTHLESS keeps many politicians within her own party strangely quiet. But don't confuse that with respect.

An effective President?? Boy if you want to see you civil liberties disappear fast, vote for her. You'll think the Patriot Act (which I oppose) is a cakewalk.

#214     Feb 22, 2004
  5. There have been some studies on media bias and to summarize: many journalists have liberal bias, but it's skewed to certain issues; but the ownership of media tends to be very conservative and getting more so.

m

#215     Feb 22, 2004
  6. I keep hearing that but I just don't understand it. First of all, which media? Certainly not newspapers. Other than the Washington Times and the WSJ editorial page, I'm just not aware of any significant liberal newspapers. If the owners are conservative, they're certainly not forcing their opinions on the papers.

As for broadcast, some have argued that Clear Channel, which owns a zillion radio stations, is rightwing because they sponsored rallies for the troops. To me that shows just how far left the media is, if supporting the troops is evidence of fanatical rightwing bias. Certainly there is a lot of conservative talk radio, but there are many, many NPR stations out there that are pretty much 100% liberal.

TV and cable are sometimes cited as well, because of Fox and the fact that NBC is owned by GE. Fox Cable is fair and balanced, but I would hardly call NBC, MSNBC or CNBC conservative. They may be marginally less liberal than CNN or ABC and CBS, but we are talking small differences.

Bottom line, other than talk radio and Fox News, I just don't see the influence of supposedly conservative ownership.

#216     Feb 23, 2004
  7. cdbern

cdbern

Any of you hear some of Bush's remarks at the dinner? He was dicussing the campaign.

As best as I can recall but somewhat paraphrased.

The democrats haven't selected their candidate yet. They have a wide range to choose from. Some are against lowering taxes, some aren't. Some are for the war on terror, some aren't. Some are for military spending, some aren't. That's just the candidate from Mass.

It was sooooo funny.

#217     Feb 24, 2004
  8. Bush is never intentionally funny. His delivery sucks because he has a hard time reading the scripted lines in the teleprompter.

However, on those rare occasions when he is allowed to speak off the cuff, he can be hilarious.

http://www.bushisms.com/

m

#218     Feb 24, 2004