Breaking: DHL To Make 'Major Announcement' In A.M.: "40,000 U.S. Jobs May Be Cut"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DHL is getting hammered as the shipping/freight business takes a nosedive.

Canary in the coal mine: Less online orders and shipping by a wide margin.

The mayor of the Ohio city where DHL is headquartered is quite anxious.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012964599

Deutsche Post's 3Q Report Holds Fate Of 40,000 U.S. Jobs

November 9, 2008 9:41 a.m. EST

AHN Staff

Berlin, Germany (AHN) -
    Deutsche Post AG is expected to slash all or most of the jobs in the United States to further streamline its operations as liquidity shrinks amid quarterly losses.

According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), a German newspaper, the mail and logistics company is likely to slash as many as 40,000 jobs.

The details on the job cut will be disclosed on Monday when it announces its third quarter results, curtailing its previously unveiled expansion plan in the U.S.

The company had recently lowered its earning forecast for 2008 and abandoned its 2009 projection due to weakening express segment, including the DHL logistics and delivery business.

For the full-year 2008, Deutsche Post reported that it is expected to post 10 percent lower earnings compared to the previous year; and 17 percent lower from its earlier projection for the same period.

On Sunday, the news report said that the company has employed as many as 20,000 people in the U.S., while the rest are working for its partner businesses in the country.

The group's chief executive officer Frank Appel is reportedly planning to withdraw from the previous commitments in the projects, which may eventually fail as risk can no longer be calculated.

Some market analysts on Wall Street are speculating that Deutsche Post may restructure DHL segment, following its U.S. network capacity cut by 30 percent in May.

The company has suffered due to declining number of clients using express deliveries in on-going economic slowdown, compared to its U.S. rivals such as and FedEx Corp. and United Parcel Service Inc. (USPS).

2. I swear you and Stock t_urder must be twins. Equally as stupid and you are as maniacally cynical and negative as turder is bullish. Do everyone a favor and stop posting your tripe here. Maybe you could learn something and actually start trading if you just shut the hell up. The best you can hope for is to be book smart, because you are definitely life stupid.

3. trendy

trendy

The OP didn't write the article, he just posted it. So, STFU.

4. MKTrader

MKTrader

But he constantly posts negative articles and is absolutely clueless how fundamental and technicals interact. He's as bad as stock_trdr3, who also posts articles from time to time.

5. Go long and STFU.

Just don't come back and bitch like a little twat after you thought you were 'buying the bottom.'

6. I didn't say going long from here was a good idea right now. I said you are an idiot, no likes you, no one respects you, and your 6000 posts over 2 years are pointless. I can tell your posts and turder's idiotic posts without even clicking on them.

7. I made three calls in all my time here, each was bearish, and each time, the market tanked.

F*ck off, wanker.

8. trendy

trendy

Well, feel free flip on those rose-colored glasses and post some good news right here in this thread. You can start with the deficit; housing, employment, retail sales, autos, bankruptcies, credit card defaults. I'll wait.

9. trendy

trendy

Well, there was that FMD call. And, can we call CC a winner? :p

10. Make any money from the calls? No let me guess!!!!!!

#10     Nov 10, 2008