break out pull back and break out test

Discussion in 'Trading' started by padutrader, Dec 14, 2020.

1. padutrader

padutrader

are these two the same?

if it is the same why use different words?

2. I don't really know, but maybe a pullback could mean just dropping back to any point above the breakout, and breakout test means the pullback actually made it close to the breakout area..."testing" the breakout level? I'm not sure I've ever distinguished between the two.

3. maxinger

maxinger

This is my dictionary.

break out --> break up - price breaks the recent high

pull back --> retrace - price goes up, then goes down a little before
    resuming the up journey

break out test---> testing the recent high - price is trying to break
    the recent high

reversal down - price goes up. then price change direction decisively

reversal up - price goes down. then price change direction decisively

break down ?
    break inside ?
    break outside ?
    break off ?
    break through?
    break and break ?
    unbreakable ?
    false break ?
    real / sincere break ?
    clean break ?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    tomorton and studentofthemarkets like this.
  4. padutrader

padutrader

i think this is it

i have read my first book in 1994cbut even though i have come across both these terms many times no one has really explained the difference between them.

i find it quite inexplicable

5. It's not that precise of a deal.

IF the "breakout, back-kiss" occurs, you should play it.

However, you should NOT bet on it occurring. It often does NOT. The breakout may just continue in the same direction without the "technical retrace" you're hoping for.

6. Yep. That explains a lot of missed trades on the Nasdaq!

7. Absofrickenlutely!

Made the mistake myself many a time... "I'll buy the backkiss test of the breakout"... that doesn't occur... just keeps moving the same direction, leaving me in the dust!

The CORRECT technical play... (1) chase the breakout quickly, (2) presume any correction will hold the "breakout/backkiss" support, IF tested. (Whatever "buffer" you want to use for the possibility of a false break of back-kiss support is subjective.)

Though a "worth its weight in gold" tip, is not a "great reveal". Anybody who is a student of the markets already knows this.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    studentofthemarkets likes this.
  8. That's why I worked on trying to trail and use a tight stop loss today in demo during the breakout on the NQ. It SEEMS like it should work when price is trending quickly. It sometimes does, but often, with a tight stop loss for protection, it will get taken out. Using a large stop loss isn't great either, because it can change direction quickly. For now I'm just going to focus on trying to find places price does match my set ups and work on getting those down.

Ricter likes this.
  9. Stops are essential... wide and lose or tight. They protect you from wipe out. Exactly where to place them is subjective and an art.

10. padutrader

padutrader

tests do occur .....near major turning points of trends

once the main trend starts...tests are fairly rare...so getting in early is good if the trend has started

#10     Dec 14, 2020
    Ricter likes this.