Bread and Butter

Discussion in 'Trading' started by easyrider, Aug 24, 2002.

1. did you start fights between other kids when you were little?
    how would you like your lunchbox stuck up your ass?

#31     Aug 24, 2002
  2. Get on a plane;

fly to the Bahamas for a nice little vacation;

and bring your lunchbox so we can talk ...

#32     Aug 24, 2002
  3. Over the Line;

I just figured out you are not even the guy with the $5K ...

#33     Aug 24, 2002
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

The average gap in the Nasdaq is 1.17%. This will completly fill in 71% of the time. If you are trending down and the Nasdaq gaps up about 14 points to an area of resistence (MA, Price etc) short it with a target being 1/2 point above yesterdays close. Flip this for long. If this is all you do, you will make a lot of money, but most people wont have the discipline. This data is based upon every single trading day in the Nasdaq since 1989.

Brandon

#34     Aug 24, 2002
  5. But, how painful is the drawdown?

#35     Aug 24, 2002
  6. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Gap thingy : it's not 100%.
    it's high win rate though. but it's not rare to see the market never look back on you.
    this setup is well known, as well as stops on it :
    time stop of 30 - 60 mn
    confirmed swing against you
    etc.

otherwise, as metoxx is pointing out, you'll get ugly drawdowns, even within a couple of days.
    that said, it's a simple and effective setup (the stop can be treated as stop and reverse, very profitable too).

tntneo

#36     Aug 24, 2002
  7. I seem to remember losing some friends in the business who played a similar game ...

#37     Aug 24, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

Hey,

That counts as a real post!

nitro

#38     Aug 24, 2002
  9. Nitro,

I was all ready to take part of the bet on your side and I got a lunch box shoved up my ass.

#39     Aug 24, 2002
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

You have to find a stop point yourself, that is part of my edge I guess :), but it is simple, us a point on the chart, I dont usually risk more than a few points..which means obviously that sometimes it'll fill but I will have been stopped out. I find that about 2/3 of the gaps that are gonna fill do it with in the first 30/40 minutes..so that gives you something to work with too.

Brandon

#40     Aug 24, 2002