Brazilian President Lula warmly received Iranian President Ahmadinejad

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Doji7, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Doji7

Doji7

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva welcomes Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
    November 23, 2009 | 6:05 pm

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva warmly received Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Brasilia today and defended Tehran's right to develop peaceful uses of nuclear energy.

Lula, who has taken flak for hosting the controversial Ahmadinejad, said a "just and balanced solution" should be found to international concerns about Iran's nuclear development program. Iran says its program is for civilian energy purposes, but the U.S. and many other Western powers allege Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons.

"We recognize Iran’s right to develop a peaceful nuclear program in compliance with international accords," Lula said in a prepared speech at a news conference with Ahmadinejad, according to Reuters. The Brazilian leader then turned to his guest and said: "I encourage you to continue engaging interested countries to seek a just and balanced solution on the Iranian nuclear issue."

Lula said earlier that other nations should engage Iran in the pursuit of peace in the Middle East despite Ahmadinejad's denial of the Holocaust and expressed desire to see Israel disappear.

"There's no point in leaving Iran isolated," Lula reportedly said on his radio program before the two leaders met. "It's important that someone sits down with Iran, talks with Iran and tries to establish some balance so that the Middle East can return to a certain sense of normalcy."

Iranian officials have said Tehran hopes to expand trade with Brazil in the petrochemical, energy, agricultural and medical fields.

2. I will have nothing to do with anything related to brazil. I would only invest in RIC countries, especially after they put the foreign tax in place on their capital markets.

3. TGregg

TGregg

But South America countries have long been the most ardent supporters of private property rights. Surely you'd feel safe investing there as a rich foreigner trying to steal their wealth and oil? No?

:D

4. Be prepared to get bombarded with anti-Brazilian news in the media.

Talks of corruption, crime, lack of democracy, human rights, women’s rights, gay rights, minority rights in Brazil will soon fill the prime time news in the US.

5. The US should consider invading Brazil. It might be harboring terrorists and cooperate with rogue nations :cool:

6. Is this the same just and balanced Iran that stole the election, is executing and imprisoning their own countrymen who complained about the stolen election, and is basically muzzling any dissent?

Yes, why should we fear such a govt with nuclear weapons?

7. Other nations should engage Iran? Hasn't this been happening for quite some time now? With little to no results? Does this guy actually think that normalcy can be brought to the Middle East by sitting down with Iran and talking? Puhlease!

8. Sounds like Brazil is trying to sell something to Iran.

9. With the sole exception of my college Spring Break experience in Brazil, long ago, I found nothing there I would want to bring home.