Bravo Mr Huntsman and Dr Paul

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Dec 5, 2011.

1. http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ron-paul-reacts-to-trumps-clown-like-debate-invite-trump-responds/

Rep. Ron Paul Reacts To Trump’s Debate Invite; Trump Calls Paul ‘Clown-Like’

Ron Paul has been slowly rising in the polls, ahead of politically mainstream candidates in some states. So when Donald Trump announced he would be sponsoring a Republican debate, the congressman did what any rational human being would have done: he declined the invite, calling the debate “beneath the office of the presidency.” Today on CNN’s State of the Union, Paul explained just exactly how little he cared about attended the Trump debate.

Candy Crowley asked Paul if he thought the debate would be damaging to the Republican party. Paul gave a small “yeah,” suggesting he really couldn’t care less about it.

But Paul did the smart thing in his public statement refusing to appear at the debate: he gave a legitimate political reason why no Republican should care about Trump’s input. As he explained in his CNN appearance, Paul was speaking for Iowa Republicans who were toyed with by Trump by dropping out of the race after they set up a huge event for him then having them cancel the event. Paul explained he received positive feedback from state party officials who are apparently still mad with Trump about the snub.

And then, Ron Paul said the one thing about Donald Trump’s fame the rest of us have been screaming for years: “I don’t understand it.” He expressed surprise at the Donald’s power to get people to fall in line. Note how eager Newt Gingrich sounded to participate in the debate yesterday. He compared Trump to Bill Gates, and boasted he would proudly go to a debate sponsored by either man.

Paul also surmised that Donald Trump “does not like to be challenged” on the issues. Well, that is just absurd. Trump is not thin-skinned, and he proved as much by responding thusly to Paul’s critique.

“Few people take Ron Paul seriously and many of his views and presentation make him a clown-like candidate… I am glad he and Jon Huntsman, who has inconsequential poll numbers or a chance of winning, will not be attending the debate and wasting the time of the viewers who are trying very hard to make a very important decision,”

There is something about Donald Trump being involved in choosing the next leader of the free world that makes my socially-conscious side cry but gives my nihilistic side hope.

Look, Gingrich said he was going for the entertainment value of it, which would be the only reason any living breathing human would tune in to watch, but this is a presidential election. It’s getting too much like a reality show already. My worry is if we actually turn it into a reality show by allowing Trump to moderate the debate, the Republican primary election will fold in on itself and pop out of the spacetime continuum. Granted, it would be good news for Obama, but still.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...-debate-moderated-donald-trump-201000365.html

Jon Huntsman will skip presidential debate moderated by Donald Trump

The conservative news magazine Newsmax announced Friday that it would co-sponsor a Republican presidential debate moderated by media personality and real estate tycoon Donald Trump on Dec. 27th in Des Moines, Ia., but they may have trouble convincing candidates to show up.

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman is the first to send his regrets.

"We look forward to watching Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich suck up to Trump with a big bowl of popcorn," Huntsman spokesman Tim Miller told Yahoo News.

The debate organizers sent out debate notices to the presidential campaigns today, but they have not yet heard back about who will show, Newsmax Social Media Director Brett Sandala confirmed.

"We've gotten a few positive responses but we're not doing any release on that until next week," Sandala said.

Trump will moderate the debate on his own, Sandala said, and will cover several topics.

"It's going to be a general debate," he told Yahoo News. "It's not necessarily focused on a specific issue."

Campaign spokesmen for former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney did not immediately return a request for comment.

2. What has happened to the republican party when the only 2 sane candidates have no shot at the nomination :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. They never had a chance. Back in 2008 when either Obama or our current Chicago mayor put the bell around the cat by saying Rush Limbaugh is the defacto leader of the GOP should be a big big tell.

The GOP cannot control it's fringe kook militia base, so it put up candidates like Newt. They lack the sense to realize a middle of the road candidate like Romney would actually press Obama.

The Obama campaign made it clear who they were worried about. They took out attack ads on Mittens, and ignored everyone else. I think it is like a game of Survivor where you try to vote the strongest player off the island, so you eat the weaklings later.

The GOP is too stupid to see that.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'm looking forward to that dinner RCG you are going to owe me.

5. Mitt and Obama are virtually identical.
    Put Obama in a debate vs Ron Paul. Dr. Paul would eat Obama's lunch.

6. This is why we have elections, instead of just letting the media chose our candidates. They pretty much do that anyway.

What you see as extreme, others see as a return to common sense and a rejection of Obama's curious brand of radical leftism and corporate cronyism.

7. Ricter

Ricter

Lol @ "radical leftism".

8. Me too, Mav, seeing as being the torch bearer upstairs is probably what will allow me to pay for it, if I lose, which I doubt.:D

9. They will get Dr. Paul on his stance on the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I understand why he said he would vote against it, but I do wish he would never have let Chris Matthews bait him into saying that on camera.

That was not smart.

People need laws. Paul is nearly a pure libertarian. That is how he would be brought down, even if by some act of God and all the other candidates died in a plane crash, he were to be the nominee.

10. If Rush and his dittoheads represent common sense, then they are clearly against my personal best interests. In my mind, they would just as well see me picking cotton.

So, Obama 2012!

#10     Dec 5, 2011