Brand new traders..........read this

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by lilduckling, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Marcell

Marcell

I have just discovered this thread, and really like your post. Even though it started back in 2005, these words are timeless. Fascinating journey!

#131     Sep 7, 2007
  2. buybig

buybig

btt:)

#132     Oct 26, 2007
  3. Ansare

Ansare

You truly are an inspiration. I just read this thread today and thanks to NYOBScalper for pointing it out. All the best to you lilduckling, and thank you for sharing your story.

Ansare

#133     Jan 20, 2008
  4. wake37

wake37

this post should always show up on a day like today. If you were caught in the slaughter today read the first post in this thread, and hopefully you will fell better. I always read this post after a bad day.

#134     Feb 22, 2008
  5. Shagi

Shagi

I guess there is nothing new to learn in this thread. All this is very public information for those that care to read before jumping into the lion's den. There are that folks who know what to do about making big money and do it, then there are folks who know what to do about making big money but can't do it.

The only difference between these folks is mental.:p

#135     Feb 22, 2008
  6. Shagi

Shagi

The mental aspect of it is when you read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator dont be blown away by the astonishing tales.

Understand the psychology behind the stories and then maybe ..................:confused: :confused:

#136     Feb 22, 2008
  7. I don't believe this is true -- not anymore.

If you know how to make money, really know, the execution is simple, and pulling the trigger or even holding through a drawdown is not painful at all. Sure it takes getting used to, but eventually it becomes routine. There should be no mental blocks whatsoever, once you've learned the pattern, getting yourself to that point is another story, but once you're there you should be on cruise control.

#137     Feb 22, 2008
  8. jaya108

jaya108

read this blog-post it is most precious i've ever read before
    Entitled "See how a FISH can improve your trading"

http://club.ino.com/trading/2008/04/11/see-how-a-fish-can-improve-your-trading/

Take the fish test: What kind of fish is this?

Here are the answers in no particular order

If you said this was a …

Happy fish
    Yellow fish
    Yellow perch
    Lady fish
    Lipstick fish
    A #3 fish

or any other combination of names you would be right!
    There is no wrong answer

If you overthough the question like that guy from the government with that ultra high security clearance, then you may want to train your mind to think about the market in simpler terms.

It the line going up,
    or is it going down,
    that is the question?

Here's an easy way to train your mind to think about the market in simpler terms.

The "TRADERS WHITEBOARD" Series
    Trading videos that teach you how to trade the right way
    http://club.ino.com/trading/traders-whiteboard-series/

#138     Apr 14, 2008
  9. do not ask those questions! when you ask those questions, you lost! the questions themselves mean you are looking for the answer!

the fun thing about trading lies in the paradox of uncertainties. it is an odd game. that means, under what kind of situation, using what kind of indicators, if you do it many times, you should ask what are the statistical results!

but trading is not purely about odd. it is also an intelligent thing, need brain work. the market is like a big pond full of fish, vaerity fish eat different kind of baits and they have their own lifestyles or living habits, if you do not know when the fish to feed, where they will present most possibly, even you go fishing, sit tight day and night, change bait types after another, your dream fish will not bite your hook.....

you ask those questions like a beginning fishing man asked an experienced fishing man what bait he use...

my experience told me:
    1) focus on one market or one kind of market, like me, just focus on panic sell and hype rally, recently I stumbled upon BSC because I forget my margin level, but I did pretty well in PTRY (gained 30%+), FRNT (gained 200%+), know the market

2) I can not ride a trend since I easily lost patience, and I hate whipsaws, if I ride a trend I hope the market just keeping going down or going up, I just want quick profit, I can not hold overnight since I will be worried and have bad sleep, I do not care whether gap up or gap down, I demand quick solution to any problem, so I figured out that I am fit to trade those stocks with bad/good news, jump in and get what I want and leave it and forget it, then find next one, everyday I traded different stock symbols, I just traded top losers and top gainers.
    know yourself!

in "the art of war ", the first rule is "know yourself and know your enemy, then fight whatever wars you win

#139     Apr 14, 2008
  10. Absolutely right. Piss yourself buying and shit yourself selling is the type of move I look for and I will try and buy the exact bottom or sell the exact top.

"know yourself and know your enemy, then fight whatever wars you win"

Exactly Right and don't fight a battle unless you know you can win it. Why would you fight anything else?

#140     Apr 14, 2008