Brain

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by macattack, May 13, 2011.

1. Technical analysis is a vodoo science , it is not a perfect science .It works sometimes and it does not work a lot of times.Same set up may give three outcomes , win /draw/loss.

80 % of trends on lower time frame fail on the longer time frame , so use fair weather friend cautiously.

#31     Jun 17, 2011
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

What trading strategy do you use that works a lot of times and does not work only sometimes?

Yes, those are the only possible outcomes of every trade, regardless of the setup.

Unless you're Goldman Sachs.

#32     Jun 18, 2011
  3. sytico

sytico

I've had experiences like that before. I traded in forex a while back. I want to start again but the fluctuation of it turns me off sometimes, not sure where to go from there. Still indecisive.

#33     Jun 18, 2011
  4. the only person you need to understand is yourself. never rely on others to show you what you must do as that is for weak minded people, and the markets are not very kind to those who are of a weak frame of mind

#34     Jun 18, 2011
  5. All strategies work sometimes.These outcomes are the very reason technical anylysis is not accepted as a science in universities.

The thread starter is saying it works sometimes , but not always.

#35     Jun 19, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

I'm a Pool shooter and my Pool game suffers from the same "neurosis". It's the mental game that is slowing my progress at this point.. I'm taking a memory course so I can have a "visual checklist" of the fundamental things that have to be in place when selecting, lining up, and executing a shot. It is a little different for every shot and that is what keeps the game interesting, but nonetheless, every time I muff a shot it is because something fundamental was not in my game.

#36     Jun 19, 2011
  7. eto

eto

macattack,

You started what could be a unique thread. Unfortunately, and as usual, it quickly reverted to the typical ‘what’s wrong and how to fix it’ pile of posts – replete with content about timeframes and instruments, the ‘plan’ and ‘trading the plan’, the inevitable mentions of discipline, yada yada… All good helpful stuff, but imo, all ‘inside the box’ enough to almost verge on being off topic.

Rather than discuss all the susceptibilities of your edge and your mistakes, let’s start over. re: “then something happens...Everything just looks hazy. I make stupid decisions & it seems like no matter what I do it doesn't matter… It literally feels like my brain is malfunctioning…[then later, was it via with a frame change or …?] “suddenly I could see all of the strcuture that I was used to seeing”. Have you considered how these ‘brain’ lapses where, as Eight puts it, something ‘fundamental’ somehow disappears from our game could be somehow connected to intraday ultradian rhythms, multiple day beta endorphin cycles, etc. etc??

Individual susceptibility to these cycles varies widely – the performance of some is only barely or rarely altered, while others’ performance is really significantly and routinely disrupted by such phenom.

Be aware, in depth research on these types of cycles is definitely sparse. Even weaker are the transitions into useful applied practice. The Twenty Minute Break book is an attempt at making it practical. Pomodoro and Multiple Put Down techniques are other attempts ( albeit day traders in particular don’t really have ‘normal’ control of the timing of market conditions nor is it typically a good idea to exit a position when a totally unrelated bell goes off… :) )

A sustained, real time (ie right there in your trading session) mindfulness practice to become aware of one’s own rhythms – giving same time and energy you give to your other ‘screen time’ and technique development – might be a way to go…
    Wonder if there are biofeedback measures/markers of these ‘brain’ cycles?

#37     Jun 21, 2011
  8. I've never heard of ultradian cycles & the other things you mentioned. I do think not taking a break has something to do with it as I usually have this problem after 2 or 3 days of trading when my brain just feels fried.

As of now though I've come to the conclusion that I just lack a proper framework/plan/structure/rules when I trade. No matter how fried my brain feels if I improve the above then I shouldn't have such a major problem. A person can play blackjack for hours & hours & hours, and they can play that entire time with perfect discipline following pre-determined rules. I know blackjack & trading are not the same, but I think trading should be done in a similar way.

#38     Jun 21, 2011
  9. eto

eto

For someone who might be interested:
    “usually have this problem after 2 or 3 days of trading when my brain just feels fried” sure sounds like susceptibility to the ~4 day beta-endorphin cycle to me… subjective awareness of such subtle cues is no easy work…

I’ve been short time frame trading futures for nearly 25 years, and while “improving the above” may defer “such a major problem”, “improving the above” often has the result of adding more constraints, spawning performance limitations by trying to turn trading into a one regime game (like blackjack is) when it is actually a multi, rotating regime game that requires that you be facile at jumping between multiple “framework/plan/structure/rules” ‘s as needed. i.e. in my own long term journey, ‘tightening up the ship’ has generally proven to have been over estimated in utility to moving a trader up out of the herd…

For those who might be interested - If I gave the impression that this is simply a matter of “taking a break” please back up and think again. Well timed breaks / rests are crucial in the troughs, but learning to leverage the upcycles is far more important – especially to those seeking consistent high level performance… subjective awareness of such subtle cues is no easy work…

#39     Jun 22, 2011
  10. Mysteron

Mysteron

Bollox :p

#40     Jun 22, 2011