Brain Teasers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by prescott, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Without reading the rest of the thread, a heart.

#161     Nov 17, 2002
  2. Te'

Te' Guest

Thanks for the response and I will check out the Monty Hall Problem :)

PEACE and good-trading,
    Commisso

#162     Nov 17, 2002
  3. Re: the monk riddle.

I think it can be proven that the number of days required to know, conclusively, that one has a dot on one's forehead is the same as the total number of dots. Such a proof doesn't have to be 'mathematical' or algebraic. In fact, I can't see how it could be stated in terms of only numbers, as numbers don't 'realize' anything - realization being a key element of this riddle.

The proof could be given logically in another form however. Like a syllogism, for example. I can't seem to come up with anything though.

No takers on the rope problem?

#163     Nov 17, 2002
  4. Te'

Te' Guest

The monks used falsification to induce they had a dot. They could not infer that there were only 9 with the dot, because their fore-head could not be seen which left still an unknown element, but day 10 was enough to refute the claim that there were only 9. Once the monks could refute the inference that there were only 9 infected, they need only to look around the room for the 10th and conclude they were indeed the mark. If you look around the table and cannot spot the mark then you are it.

They just built an inference based on inductive logic and then falsified the inference using the 10th day as their black swan.

These monks were well edumacated :D

PEACE and good-trading,
    Commisso

#164     Nov 17, 2002
  5. I give up! What's the answer to the rope problem? The suspense is killing me!

#165     Nov 17, 2002
  6. Fact 1
    If we ignite each end of one rope, it will burn for 30 minutes.

Fact 2
    If we take a rope which has been ignited on one end and which has been burning for 30 minutes, and then ignite the other end, it will burn for an additional 15 minutes.

Solution
    Simultaneously ignite the first rope from both ends and the second rope from one end only. When the first rope has burned (30 minutes), ignite the other end of the second rope. When the second rope has burned (15 minutes), a total of 45 minutes will have elapsed.

#166     Nov 17, 2002
  7. Ahh...pretty clever!

#167     Nov 17, 2002