Brain Teasers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by prescott, Nov 15, 2002.

1. prescott

prescott

Does anyone know the 'red and white socks in a bag' question, that I have heard that has been asked on interviews? Can someone fill in the blanks? Thanks
    Also if anyone has any others that would greatly appreciated.

2. Aaron

Aaron

Is that the one...

"You have a mixture of red and white socks in a bag. What is the minimum number of socks you would have to pull out to be sure of getting a matching pair?"

[This looks like a "chit chat" forum thread.]

3. All of them ...

4. ddefina

ddefina

There are 10 socks of each of the following colors in a drawer: blue, green, red, yellow & white, for a total of 50 socks. If the socks are randomly distributed in the drawer (i.e. not in pairs or any other grouping), & you are blindfolded, what is the minimum number socks you must draw from the drawer in order to be certain you have at least 2 socks of the same color?

5. ddefina

ddefina

6. DTK

DTK

Uhh... That would be six wouldn't it? I take it by 2 socks you mean 1 pair.

7. "to be sure of getting a matching pair", I presumed this means the odds are 100%? if it is the case, then you'll have to get all the white socks out, and what is left inside the bag are only red socks?

Cheers!! :)

8. ddefina

ddefina

Yes, correct. 6

9. Yes, the answer is definitely 6.

10. Whether it's two different colors or five different colors the number of socks you need to pull out is one more than the number of colors. The extra sock is sure to match one of the others.

#10     Nov 15, 2002