Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigarrow, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Arrogance and self delusion is a bad combination Gabby.

#11     Apr 12, 2011
  2. That would be the Right Wing slogan. :D

Read the article again.

#12     Apr 12, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

#13     Apr 12, 2011
  4. I don't believe that this article is about the left brain/right brain dichotomy. It goes deeper than that. For example, the study shows that greater conservatism was associated with increased volume of the right amygdala. But did you know that studies have shown a link between the amygdala and schizophrenia, noting that the right amygdala is significantly larger than the left in schizophrenic patients?

http://www.answers.com/topic/amygdala

I think the article is more about physical brain structure and capacity, rather than merely preferential utilization. That is why I genuinely think that there is some truth to my earlier remark about evolution. The amygdala, which is larger in the conservative brain, is often referred to as the reptilian part of the brain, whereas the larger anterior cingulate cortex in liberal brains reflects the evolution of interface between emotion and cognition:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11411161

#14     Apr 12, 2011
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

"Studies" showing "links" huh? It seems like I hear that a lot these days.

#15     Apr 12, 2011
  6. Would you prefer the mention of studies without references? So that you could perhaps practice a bit of faith?

#16     Apr 12, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'd prefer indisputable concrete proof. A "study" showing a possible "link" isn't much more than a theory in my book.

#17     Apr 12, 2011
  8. Like you do for your belief on God?

The relevant portion of the brain has to do with function. Its relative size has to do with level of activity. This is too fanciful for you, is it? Perhaps you should consult your sky daddy for guidance.

#18     Apr 12, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

What exactly is my belief in God?

#19     Apr 12, 2011
  10. I don't think Lucrum believes in god, he's just one step closer to being a liberal thinker.
    To think is to be liberal. If I only could encourage our people in congress to practice that, thinking that is.

#20     Apr 12, 2011