Brain function and trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Mar 1, 2009.

1. nitro

nitro

I strongly agree. Hence the remark that we do not have a highly developed brain area for fat tails.

I strongly disagree. I would say that one in a 20000 traders would have achieved the consistent level of returns that VN did for umpteen numbers of years. I suggest that you listen to the message of this thread. Maybe 1 in a million traders can make huge returns consistently, AND not blow out.

I think you still have NOT made the distinction.

#11     Mar 2, 2009
  2. All you say here is we use what we got. if you process info in a more 'spatial' way in life & all then surely you will approach trading in same way. if your a numbers man quantitative is the way you''ll go.

big whoop here bud :D

ps you should be in research researching some minutiae :)

#12     Mar 2, 2009
  3. nitro

nitro

As I have stated many times on ET, one can trivialize anything. Human beings are 85% water. Clouds are 98% water. Therefore human beings are 85% a cloud.

There are endless debates on ET about whether technical analysis is hooey, or quantitative analysis is the way to go, or system trading, or on and on. This thread says that as long as you are good at finding the correlates, there may be more than one method that will get you the right answer. It also says that there are brain structures that exist in all of us, and some of us tap into them more easily than others.

Scientists sometimes state the "obvious", and to the masses it seems like we are dealing in minutiae or the completely obvious. But from fantastically simple realizations, often come colossal discoveries. Take the simple historical example of the discovery that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. The consequences of that simple statement are no less than astonishing.

#13     Mar 2, 2009
  4. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Some people are surprised to learn that one portion of the brain could generate irrational herding behavior, while a more rational portion of the brain might be unconscious of this herding dynamic. Shiller’s survey-based study of the stock market crash of 1987 is a good example of the discrepancy between what investors say is the reason for a large price movement and what they actually did as they sold their stock in droves. The survey revealed that the most frequent reasons given for the crash was that the market was “overpriced” and that large institutional investors were selling when the market hit “stop-loss” points. These ideas sound rational and at least roughly related to fundamental analysis or rational trading techniques. Shiller’s research found, however, that on the day of the big crash, an astounding 43% of his random sample of institutional investors was experiencing unusual symptoms of anxiety (difficulty concentrating, sweaty palm or rapid pulse). In contrast to the calm reasoning process of selling they reported in the survey, these investors were actually found to be “…people reacting to each other with heightened attention and emotion, trying to fathom what other investors were likely to do, and falling back on intuitive models….”

Strong emotions are catalysts for spontaneous herding behavior which, in tern, creates strong decision making BIAS in the stock market.

#14     Mar 2, 2009
  5. By essentially buying the dip mindlessly, so to speak, until and after it is too late? He seems to have made excellent returns by not appreciating the risk he incurred in doing so, until it became too late. Anyone can take a flyer and some will succeed over a length of time simply by chance. Personally, I think it is consistency and survival that distinguishes a trader. The very thing that made VN money is the very thing that blew him up, so I wouldn't be too quick to aggrandize that quality. Just my opinion, of course.

#15     Mar 2, 2009
  6. Most of us don't 'tap' into anything different but do things the same way we have always done them.

if we are successful then we start threads about it :D

finding "correlates" is the key to success in trading? what is that, define it?

#16     Mar 2, 2009
  7. nitro

nitro

Perhaps. Imo what you describe is more a mindset than a brain function. One is nature, the other is nurture.

One is, "I need to get paid everyday." The other is, "I see a trend that others don't see."

#17     Mar 4, 2009

8. I see what you are saying. Your are saying it is fear to lose money, not a brain function of possible fat tail?

#18     Mar 4, 2009
  9. nitro

nitro

Fear is an emotional response. It occurs in the lymbic system. In the hands of an experienced trader it is a powerful asset. In the hands of an amateur, it causes premature profit taking and stop losses.

#19     Mar 4, 2009

10. Some fear is good. It tells a person that they need more information, to stop, they do not understand something. Fear is emotion when you know you do not know the answer. If a person trusts something or someone, then the fear is gone.

#20     Mar 5, 2009