Brad Schoenfeld's study of exercise volume and hypertrophy

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Last year, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld and colleagues wrote a paper concluding that resistance training volume enhances muscle hypertrophy but not strength in trained men. I have attached a pdf file of the report at the bottom of this post for your consideration.

Clarence Bass wrote about it in his March 2019 article:

https://www.cbass.com/lowvolume.html

However, someone on reddit wrote a fairly lengthy critique concluding that the statistics do not support the volume/hypertrophy conclusion:

Although I took some statistics courses in school many years ago, some of this stuff is beyond me. And so, I cannot adequately assess the critique. Perhaps some of you can. If so, please provide your comments.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

In my opinion, the only thing that matters is consistency over time. And the only way the average person is going to be consistent over the long term is if they are enjoying their workouts. I'd rather see someone do a few sets of leg extensions, a few sets of leg presses and some hamstring curls while piddling on their phone between sets then do a single heavy set of squats to failure and then puke in a bucket, never to return to the gym again.

3. I agree.

Okay, but that's not the comparison at issue here. As I understand it, the critique suggests that the study couldn't even prove statistically that 5 sets were better than 3 sets using the same intensity (momentary concentric failure), let alone doing 10 or more sets per exercise or muscle group as alluded to by the study.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Strange comparison that is... FF feels it's better to go to absolute failure but there are lots of very strong people advising to stop before failure, a single set of squat is not supposed to make you sick and sounds much less boring to me at least than the bodybuilding marathon you described above. Fwiw I tried the full body 1 set per exercise work out upon coming back to train last summer and had great results with it, volume and strengthwise, but than usually coming back to train sees fast gains.
    Found the same issue with single as with several sets full body workout btw when getting to low reps (I might go to 10/15 reps the first week than lower it progressively close to 1). Recuperation gets difficult when doing low reps, and a more complex work out seems preferable. There are powerlifting full body programes btw, using low reps, but the intensity of each compound movement usually changes every day.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Started to read the study, they are assessing improvements in 1rm max while doing only 8to12 reps sets , is that right ?
    Who knows what the results would be if they had chosen a repetition range more conducive to max strength gains, say between 1 to 5 ?

edit : noticed the issue is mentioned on page 8:

"It should be made clear that our results are specific to training in the 8 to 12 RM range. It is possible that a different pattern would emerge if the subjects trained with higher (or lower) loads. For instance, training in the 1 to 5 RM zone might require more volume, given that there would be less ‘‘practice’’ with a lower repetition range. Future studies, therefore, might consider using a more strength-specific repetition range to further explore this topic

6. I'm not sure what your interpretation is of "absolute failure," but the studies I have seen comparing higher volumes of exercise with lower volumes (and not finding meaningful differences in outcomes) were based on taking an exercise to momentary concentric failure. In my case, I just keep pushing (or pulling) statically at the end for a few seconds to ensure failure, and then finishing with a very slow negative where possible. I don't quite understand the aversion to it. For me, it is what makes an exercise complete.

Oh, and I don't throw up.

7. luisHK

luisHK

Different style, i try to do the movement as fast as possible usually without losing control, failure is when I miss 1 rep, which happens but is by and large not recommended. I'm more in the Visaria camp of stopping one rep before failure (also more than 1 rep depending on the plan) Not doubting what you are doing is working fine for you btw.
    What happened to Visaria ?

I also don't puke even when missing a squat, Baron seemed extremely biaised in his post above, but find it very taxing nervously/emotionally. If I miss an overhead press it's not such a big deal.

8. Why?

9. luisHK

luisHK

Explosiveness, or being able to move more weight using more speed is an important part of powerlifting . I have no chance to ever be good at it but still like to follow PL programs and ideas. Also enjoy more my work outs like this.

10. I understand where you're coming from. I guess we have different objectives. You're more concerned more with lifting a weight while I'm more concerned with working a muscle group.

#10     Jun 12, 2019