BP - How does Buying Power work

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by SnoopDogg, Jan 16, 2006.

1. BP is misunderstood, and in our case has little to do with xx to 1 or some ratio. With a standard trading account ($25K or so), our guys can use a couple of million for opening only strategies, pairs, M&A, etc. If we limited BP to 20 or 30 to one, it would eliminate a lot of trading profit potential.

Overnights are more risky, so some risk charges may apply. We do have traders who take home 30, 50, 60 to 1 or more, and pay a bit for the privilege. If their trading plan is making them $50K per month, they don't seem to mind paying $5K or so in haircut fees.

Our entire group of Pairs traders, for example, are certainly glad to have the use of capital.

All the best,

Don

#11     Jan 31, 2006
  2. Some of the smaller firms have to use their traders capital in their "net capital calculation" when determining how much capital can be used by the entire firm, and are often "over extended" and have to limit the overall capital usage. We are well capitalized and this is not an issue with us. As always, check balance sheets of any firm when you join them.

Don

#12     Jan 31, 2006
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Don, I may be wrong, but I believe that is illegal. The NASD net capital requirements cannot include trader equity. The firm has to have 1.5 million that cannot be used for purposes of margin or haircut. That is suppose to be insurance money.

#13     Feb 1, 2006
  4. Hamlet

Hamlet

I believe they can use it if it is locked in for one year. That is the reason firms put that provision in their llc agreement.

#14     Feb 1, 2006
  5. janet

janet

I'm trying to assess if certain charges made on my account were legal. If reg t requires a broker to set SMA to largest amount of excess margin even if account value goes down, can brokerage house ignore this requirement and set SMA to current valuation or less? :(

If I sell security for $10000, buy another security for 11000, and have the SMA of more than the difference $1000, am I assessed $500 from SMA and $500 to Debit Balance, $1000 to SMA, or $1000 or more to Debit Balance? :(

#15     Feb 1, 2006
  6. Maverick74 quoted about .50 basis points over the current broker call rate, currently 6.00%. Fed funds is at 4.5%, so we are talking around in the 6.25- 6.5% range cost of capital at most places?

That is not much different from what you could obtain in a retail account. That being the case, it doesn't appear that there is a significant advantage to trading at a prop firm vs. trading retail unless you are primarily a day trader?

Again, I am discounting the value of the "training" and camaraderie, and focusing on the dollars and cents issues : amount leverage aka BP, cost of capital, and commission rates.

#16     Feb 4, 2006
  7. Thanks Don, how would i go about "checking balance sheets of any firm"?? What shoudl i ask to see, and what numbers should i look for? I think that would be quite useful to know if indeed one has the right to see that kind of info when joining a new firm..

#17     Feb 4, 2006
  8. lescor

lescor

Retail overnight leverage is still 2:1. Overnight prop leverage can go 10, 20, 50 times higher than that. That's a huge advantage over retail if used appropriately.

#18     Feb 4, 2006
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Snoop, this is not the cost of capital in terms of leveraged capital, that is the debit rate you pay on any debit balances in your account, retail or prop. I think many on this thread are misunderstanding all the terms. A capital charge is the rate a trader pays to BORROW capital from the firm. This is usually in terms of overnight haircut, not intraday trading.

#19     Feb 4, 2006
  10. Maybe I am missing something critical here, but what difference does it make? If I borrow from the prop firms, it is a capital charge. It I borrow from a retail account, it is a margin rate/debit rate/cost of capital? Both these rates are in the same ballpark.

#20     Feb 5, 2006