boyscouts ... not for my child

Discussion in 'Politics' started by man, Jul 8, 2007.

1. From one scout to another . . . wonderful post!!

#41     Jul 8, 2007
  2. man

man

looks like there are some more options than you can
    imagine.

#42     Jul 8, 2007
  3. for you, on your terms. your terms are not my freedom

#43     Jul 8, 2007
  4. Quote from bluud:

Not exactly ... before I respect I have to see respect ... it's not like I am begging for others respect ... and so to wait ... you talk as if I consider them something worthy in the first place ... I just say if one respects me, in return of his understanding I will respect him
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the logic of the "corner". The logic of the "hood". I have no problem with that line of thought, it is detrimental to the holder of that value.

#44     Jul 8, 2007
  5. I was an ADC in college. You should locate the ADC in your area and get him the give you the schedule of the local training program. If you get interested and like it then check out the professional training at Schiff Scout Reservation Mendham, N. J. and some of the regional traing centers.

Dress codes are very common at a whole range of institutions and organizations. Prep schools and sports come to mind for me. For a while I wore stuff that my mom dyed for me since I didn't have a scouting outfit as did most others in our troop. It didn't bother me or anyone else.

The merit of merit badges is a truly grand thing for young people. I loved the weekly presentations at our troop meeting by the counselers. They created a great deal of interest. I made it a rule to never wear the neckerchief slide twice.

Funny to say but my GSA membership was in category 31. Leading up to '76, all GS councils participated in three year environmental projects. The girls came to Brym Marr every year asand on the 4th they were the ire five rows in Philadelphia. On the 5th they gave a Steuben Glass carrosel to the Queen as the US token of appreciation. A collection of their three year's efforts was written up in a book; the theme of the book was quotes from various GS's that illustrated that every individual counts in the interdepedence of the environment. The letters made up the title of the book I. E. which also stands for for example.

Talk about the girl scouts with your daughter after you get her a copy of the book to read. Almost anyone can identify with the quotes of the girls from every council in the US during the Bi Centenial.

Don't also keep her from going to prep school or participating in sports. It is very good to be allowed to belong.

#45     Jul 8, 2007
  6. I really doubt creativity or the spirit of individuality is stifled by constaints of society. I would venture a guess it is caused by parents reactions to a childs ambitions, lack of parental example, or as the individual gets older by their own lack of good judgement.

#46     Jul 8, 2007
  7. Thanks for your thoughts Jack. Your the spirit of making people think, one way or the other {:>).

#47     Jul 8, 2007
  8. pattersb

pattersb Guest

Consider this: Your parenting goals are to encourage your child to be creative, to think for herself, avoid competition, etc ... HOW?

By limiting her options and making decisions for her.

If she has an interest in pursuing scouting, by denying her the opportunity to join, you're denying her the chance to think for herself, lead, and you're setting YOURSELF up as her competition.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the progressive left ........ god love em ...

#48     Jul 8, 2007
  9. There's nothing wrong with protecting your children from religious indoctrination and child predators.

Unless of course, you're a pedophile.

#49     Jul 8, 2007
  10. once you established your IQ level, I gave up reading

#50     Jul 8, 2007