Boycott movies, prices at theaters are going to SURGE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Lethn

Lethn

It's the exact same bullshit people are throwing around with games you know, games have become so overpriced because of publishers muscling in and monopolizing everything along with DRM of course that it largely isn't worth buying a game anymore. If the people making movies or games, or even t.v shows for that matter were more interested in making a quality product then less people would be inclined to pirate their stuff instead of pay for it.

As for the cinema lulz, the service is shitty, you normally can't bring in outside food and you always have to bear with jackasses who somehow manage to talk louder than the actual movie, never used to be a problem before because the sound was turned up pretty high but I bet they had to lower it because of health and safety. The only good thing I remember about the cinema was the sweets and the trailers for other films that made the film you were about to watch look like crap or even better than what was coming. I'll take watching a movie or t.v show on my monitor with some awesome headphones at the volume that I like over cinema now any day.

The internet is pwning everything else out there right now and it is purely because it provides a far better service than the assholes who are funding the production of all this media.

#11     Mar 27, 2010
  2. zdreg

zdreg

instead of grumbling buy netflix.

#12     Mar 27, 2010
  3. subban

subban

Hey anyone know when they are going to start to trade movie futures. the government actually approved this and it is supposed to start in April. Unbelievable, after a credit crisis to start anther bubble in a different sector. i wonder if interactive brokers will have it. Start buying the May Avatars and sell the Junes.

#13     Mar 27, 2010
  4. ashatet

ashatet

I think I was a 10 year old and keen on going to the movies. Then this friend of mine tells me that his parents have never let him watch movies since those movies are on TV in a matter of year or so and that too for free.

Somehow, I saw the logic in what he states. A family of 4 can easily spend $50 for watching a movie even in the suburbs where the cheap theaters cost only $6-$7 a ticket and rest for those drinks and popcorn.

If one watches a movie every week that is close to $15 including drinks, transportation, tickets etc and that adds up to $20K over 30 years in today's money. I will stick with the TV and cheap DirecTV.

#14     Mar 27, 2010
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

Man, that is a great Pelosi-esque idea! I'll be waiting for my Alice in Wonderland ticket to arrive in the mail.

#15     Mar 27, 2010
  6. Am I missing something? If the price stops making sense and there is no longer value there for you -- STOP GOING. Many "free market" equations are tough to sort out. You need to balance airline safety/regulation against a bust out free market approach as an example of some complexity. But this one is pretty straightforward.

They spend their money and they make their movie.

The theater posts a price and the free market rules.

Period.

WTF AM I MISSING?

#16     Mar 27, 2010
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Exactly. It isn't just the price but the cheap or free competition (Netflix, (streaming!!) Redbox and torrents) and the nice home experience, instead of dealing with idiots with overpriced food and sticky seats.

And don't even start me on the cellphones....

The cinema as we know it is outdated when one can buy a really nice set of TV for a reasonable price and download quality moves for free.

#17     Mar 27, 2010
  8. If anything, all that I've noticed over the past 5 years are ticket prices going down. I've been paying $5 for any movies I've gone to over the past few years and that's about what I paid 15 years ago. The truth is the $10 tickets are found at a couple of large chain theatres and I simply avoid them.

btw, this is in and around Chicago and the northern burbs that I'm talking about.

#18     Mar 27, 2010
  9. One other thing to mention is that many, many theatres have very few patrons. I read all the complaints on this thread and I seriously can't relate to alot of it. Movie theatres have been dying a slow death for probably the past 20 years and only on occasion will you ever find a capacity crowd in alot of these places. I'm sure if you went to the opening weekend of Avatar or something similar, it would probably be a claustrophobic experience, but those are the exception, not the rule.

On the flipside, probably 80% of the movies I've gone to in the past 5 years, I could count on two hands the number of people in the theatre. Just avoid the priciest theatres with the stadium seating and you've solved most of the problem.

#19     Mar 27, 2010