Boxter or Z4?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lescor, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Looked at it, and liked it. Very fast...no doubt. And a great car overall. The 350Z is not yet available as a convertible. (The G35 will not be at all). I am sure it will be a great sports car. (BTW, while the G and the Z share the same motor and chassis, there is more to the difference than just the jump seat. Z has a shorter wheelbase). I am also sure they will be getting a premium over MSRP for a few months when it does come out. And for whatever reason (maybe to bolster the image of the G35?) the interior of the Z350 is just kind of cheap looking and feeling. And if they cut corners like that where it is so obvious, you gotta wonder about what they did in the rest of the car.

I have had a LOT of Japanes cars. Until I got my Z4, I thought my Lexus RX was the best quality car I ever had. But there is something to be said for "feel". And while the G35 (and the essentially same but sportier looking 350Z) are both great cars, they just have a rather bland feel to the way they drive. I just recently turned in a Saab 9-3 SE convertible. Fun to drive. Dependability compared to the Lexus sucked. But the car had "feel". I wouldn't get another one. But it was fun to drive. I would get another Lexus, and it was not particularly fun to drive.

Anyway, I wanted a convertible and a true sports car. The G35 did not fit the bill. Great car though!!

Peace,
    :)RS

#31     Jul 6, 2003
  2. Blondes for sure. Just asked my blonde wife to make sure. She concurred!!

Peace,

#32     Jul 6, 2003
  3. Like sports cars, they are all nice rides, but as they get older they don't feel as tight, require more time in the detail shop to look beautiful, and are never as nice as the newer models.

So what is the best color for a sports car?

Red, black, white, blue, blonde?

Studies show red sports cars get more tickets, and studies show redheads are wilder in bed. Just coincidence?

#33     Jul 6, 2003
  4. Hmmmmm...too bad it's too late for me to verify the redhead thing:(

Interestingly, I always thought that red cars got the most tickets. But a few months ago I had to go to driving school to keep a speeding ticket off my record. (Got the ticket driving a rented Ford F150 4 door pick up truck....not a sports car by any means).

One of the statistics mentioned was that WHITE cars get the most tickets. This surprised not only me, but virtually everyone in the room. We had always heard "Arrest Me Red" was the color of trouble.

Maybe the guy was lying. But I did not get that feeling.

His explanation was people tend to speed most at night. White cars are more noticeable. Yellow also stand out, but are so much rarer as not to be statistically significant.

During daylight, black cars are most visible (and I guess red, and other dark colors). But that's the story. At least in Florida.

BTW, the truck I was driving was white. But it was daytime, so I was a dead duck no matter what. Speed through a radar trap, and it makes no difference what color or kind of car you are in.

Peace,

PS: I had a red RX7 for more than 5 years. Never got a ticket in it. Had it in New York. Drove it to Colorado, and got 2 speeding tickets on I-70 within 20 minutes of each other:( :(

#34     Jul 6, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Well,

While many are concerned as to who drives what kind of car and don't want to be associated with that group, all I care is the styling, performance, reliability and price/performance of the car.

I agree though that if your goal is to represent an image, then a car can certainly portray the right/wrong one.

FWIW, here in Chicago, Corvettes do not have that connotation at all. Whereas in Europe, you go there and all the Mercedes are cabs. It all depends where you are at...

As far as a sports car goes, I could never imagine anything than a car that could not produce less than 500 ft/pound of torque because I cannot STAND camaros and transams trying to take me on the street. These are the guys that are going to take you on. The people in their $120,000+ sports cars stay away from you when you have flames painted on the side of your car and a buldging carburator sticking out the top of your hood, and rightly so.

When I make a shit load of money, I am actually going to go and buy a '93 cobra from someone and take it to Kenny Brown http://www.kennybrown.com/ and get myself a naturally aspirated street legal 10 second car - you won't even be able to tell what hit you when you try to take this car on because it will look stock :D Then, when I feel like "showing off" (not me AT ALL,) I will take out my Enzo, but you think I am going to drive a $650,000 car like a maniac? :eek:

nitro

#35     Jul 6, 2003
  6. Well, since just having it will establish you as being a maniac that likes to show off, then yeah, I would expect you to drive it like one. (When you get it, though, can I PLEASE PLEASE take it for a spin??? (Pretty please with sugar on top?)*

*Winston Wolf

Peace,

#36     Jul 6, 2003
  7. What the hell is a

Porche Boxter???

is it anything like a Porsche Boxster?

SPC

#37     Jul 6, 2003
  8. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

i liked my '84 nissan 300zx turbo back in the day .. it had a woman's voice tell you if the door was open etc.. not to mention it cornered great, and was --fast-- went 0 to 100 in something like 8-10 seconds (i mean, 0 to 55 lol) ..

had t-tops.. 350w amped sony sound system .. met lots of g-friends driving that car... never got a ticket, then again, I had a great radar detector/woops I mean, I always observed the properly posted speed limit ..

here's some guy's web page about them:
    http://www.angelfire.com/az/tomicaz/

i miss that car ... married with a camry now... life changes.. I'm going to go buy another one later this year.. it was great...

#38     Jul 6, 2003
  9. nitro

nitro

:eek:

Well, OK, you can drive it. But maybe you will beat me to getting one, in which case, can I drive yours, pretty please with sugar on top?

nitro

#39     Jul 6, 2003
  10. Boys, you really should add some "X's" and "O's" to these posts. Sheeesh!

#40     Jul 6, 2003