"Bowling for Columbine"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Sep 19, 2003.

1. tampa proves once again that he is logically defunct,
    and only capable of responding with personal
    attacks instead of cogent arguments.

Bravo.

Still licking your wounds from your past debate eh?

peace

axeman

#41     Sep 19, 2003
  2. Have you ever met someone you knew to be very dangerous?
    I don't mean armed, just dangerous. This individual possessed persuasive and corrosive ideas capable of harming more of us than any jack-off with an uzi ever could; harmful by infesting the minds of weak and convincible individuals, who after reaching critical mass can begin a social movement devastating to our current way of life. Maybe this was a man or a women, an author or a journalist, painter or director. Whatever they may be they began convincing others that the status quo was not in their best interest... and worth dieing to change.

#42     Sep 19, 2003
  3. buster

buster

tampa your brain pales in comparison to axe's

#43     Sep 20, 2003
  4. tampa

tampa

You flatter me...

But what would you have done with me? Perhaps shot?

#44     Sep 20, 2003
  5. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

To answer your question : I am stating emphatically (not implying) that guns are designed to kill people, innocent or otherwise. Killing is the intention, the goal. Yes, cars take innocent lives, but so do balconies, jet airplanes and small pox vacinations, but that is an unfortunate but necessary risk to assume in today's society. Guns have no such redeeming quality. Guns are manufactured BECAUSE guns kill and kill efficiently.

Now you may argue we need guns to protect ourselves, the personal self-defense argument. Protect ourselves from what? The irresponsible proliferation and dissemination of Other guns, that's what! It seems the toothpaste is now out of the tube, and it is damned hard to get it back in. But arming everyone to the teeth is not the way to do it. That makes for a very dangerous situation as is evident on the streets today. To "protect" the World would you arm each and every country to the teeth with nukes?

REVOLT? I highly doubt the next revolution is going to turn on a 38 revolver (in the hands of a civilian). "The times they are a changing..."

I think it quite obvious I am not in favor of taking more innocent lives but in saving more of the same. I am in favor of making transportation safer; I am in favor of improving medical care; I am in favor of disarming the World of nukes and weapons of mass destruction. AND I am also in favor of ridding society of dangerous devices, devices that are designed and manufactured solely because they are dangerous to people.

We need tighter controls over dangerous weapons of all kinds, not a bazooka in every living room.

#45     Sep 20, 2003
  6. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

What's your point?

#46     Sep 20, 2003
  7. That this person, or these people - are dangerous. That, in this country certain rights are granted its citizens. That although we create laws to restrict behaviour and limit these rights without wholly removing them - see: gun permits, see: federal communications commission - certain individuals still pose a threat to the lives and liberty of other citizens. Every time a society increases freedom it increases risk, and every time it increases security it limits freedom.

The trend in this country is towards increased security and further limited freedom. The U.S. goverment will continue on this path until its citizens demand otherwise. At what point is this?

And, at what rate do we analyze what rights have already been stripped but possibly should be re-instated? Discussion in this nation is dominated by a select few issues which are brought to the forefront by politicians and news and entertainment medias. These issues are, by in large, issues and questions concerning whether something should be made illegal or kept legal. Where is the debate concerning what is already illegal? Where is the debate over rights already forfeit?

The only major issue which comes to mind is the war on drugs. Discussion is sparse from mass medias and for the most part politicians stay well clear of the issue. Voices from the far left and right both denounce the purported 'war,' and there is general support for the lifting of certain restrictions. There is little question though that not much will change in the near future. Except maybe further restriction.

An intelligent discourse on the legality of guns is commendable... just remember what it is you argue.

#47     Sep 20, 2003
  8. I just watched it too. It was a powerful movie I thought. Most here apparently did not see the movie or watch it closely.

I thought his cartoon sequence of the white Americans with their chattering teeth was genius and dead on accurate and the core of the movie. Look at how the esteemed axeman here rationally argues we need to protect ourselves. From who? We are the most armed to the teeth nation in the history of the world and he is still afraid of "them".

Obviously this is self-perpetuating as Moore points out the trail of dead bodies stretching from SE Asia to Latin America to Afghanistan and how some of this eventually manifests in anti-US hate by the US trained and funded bin Laden.

Moore is right; we are scared to death and eating ourselves alive. Remember, Canada has plenty of guns, just less history fear based aggression and hate.

#48     Sep 20, 2003
  9. Siwash

Siwash

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Los Angeles Dodgers fan was shot and killed by a San Francisco Giants fan following a dispute in the parking lot after a game, police said.

Mark Antenorcruz, 25, of Covina, was shot once in the upper body about 10 p.m. Friday as he headed for his car, police and county coroner's Lt. Gary Kellerman said. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The National League West champion Giants had just won 6-4 Friday night and people were leaving Dodger Stadium when a group of San Francisco fans jeered Antenorcruz, who may have given a reply, police said.

#49     Sep 20, 2003
  10. Siwash

Siwash

So was this a case of 1 gun too many or 1 more needed??

#50     Sep 20, 2003