"Bowling for Columbine"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Sep 19, 2003.

1. damir00

damir00 Guest

i don't find car deaths any more acceptable than gun deaths. the entire licensing and liability system is a mess and should be revamped.

this entire society has lost the ability to act responsibly.

#11     Sep 19, 2003
  2. damir00

damir00 Guest

you're right. laws don't mean much without moral backbone in the people and in the leadership.

#12     Sep 19, 2003
  3. You missed the point of the documentary GG. His argument was that our society is screwed up by the gun culture, not that there are "too many" school attacks involving kids and guns. But I can understand why you think that Moore is annoying. Know it all's usually are and he can be pretty preachy when he gets going.

#13     Sep 19, 2003
  4. Siwash

Siwash

Have you seen the movie?

#14     Sep 19, 2003
  5. All you have to do is make it more difficult to get guns. And just to keep on message, when all you have to do is open an account at a bank and you get a free gun, that's pretty sad. We need to close loopholes and make sure that guns can't get into the hands of wackos (that haven't been background checked). And I don't care what anybody says about "assault weapons"... they have no place outside of the military (and swat). Handguns and Rifles, OK, automatic weapons and missile launchers, Not. All we need is a little bit of common sense and a little less lobbying from the NRA.

#15     Sep 19, 2003
  6. honestly, i have not seen it entirely, but i am familiar with michael moore and i've seen parts of it. i will be the first to admit i should not be commenting on something i have not really seen.

#16     Sep 19, 2003
  7. there is a higher rate of gun violence in New York City and D.C., where guns are prohibited, than in Vermont, where concealed-carry permits aren't needed, or in the vicinity of the bank where they were giving out free guns in the documentary.

but whatever side of the argument you're on, it was a well-made documentary, and worth watching...

#17     Sep 19, 2003
  8. Right, things are SO much better in England and Austalia, where guns are banned. Those two countries now enjoy the highest violent crime rate in the industrialized world, six times higher than the U.S. So keep ignoring the evidence and lying to yourself, fine with me.

#18     Sep 19, 2003
  9. Oh, I forgot to mention that over 60% of robberies take place in England while people are home, compared to 10% in the U.S.

Enjoy, mate.

#19     Sep 19, 2003
  10. damir00

damir00 Guest

that was an interesting study and provided some good insight, but those are very misleading statistic. they do not relate to how many violent crimes are committed per capita, they relate to something quite different.

#20     Sep 19, 2003