Bowling... Can we start a thread?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gnome, Jan 26, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

1. Before the '50s, getting a hole in one would have been easier. There are bowlers in the Hall of Fame that never bowled 300. Nowdays, bowling 300 is easier. Most of the touring pro types of guys have bowled at least 40, 300s. Most pro golfers don't have 20 hi1.

2. It only took 3 posts to turn this from a bowling thread to smut. WTG guys!! :D

#11     Jan 26, 2003
  2. rs7

rs7

Best female athletes, (bodywise) are gymnasts and ice skaters IMO. (I am a leg guy, so it's all in the eye of the beholder).

Met Chris Everett last year. I was amazed at how little she is. I thought she would be big and strong. I am sure she has lost a lot of "bulk" since her playing days, but still, I was surprised she was so little.

Female bowlers? I picture some trailer park gal with a cigarette dangling from her over made up lips and a can of beer in her hand. Definitely NOT the same element as the country club golfers. (not to say there is anything wrong with that:))

Peace,
    :)rs7

#12     Jan 26, 2003
  3. rs7

rs7

Why is it now easier to bowl a 300?

And of course this thread would degenerate in a page or two. Wouldn't you have been disappointed (surprised) if it had not?

#13     Jan 26, 2003
  4. gnome

gnome

1. Not surprised at all. Had a good laugh as I read down through the posts.

2. Easier to bowl 300 nowdays... Everybody likes to score, so they made the lanes more "forgiving" and with computer technology, designed both the cover stock and the internal weight block for much more power. "Power = resistance to deflection" when the ball hits the pins.

The bowling "shot" has always been about
    a. Speed
    b. Accuracy
    c. Type of release
    d. consistency of release

In the 60's, "rollng dynamics" and the material the ball was made of came into play.

By oiling the lanes in a pattern, the lanes can help correct slightly errant shots.... maybe even moderately errant shots, and help direct the ball towards the 1-3 pocket for more strikes.

Years ago, one of the most difficult things to do was to get the ball to roll fast... more RPM down the lane = gyroscopic effect = power. That was one of the greatest skills. Now, with cover stock and internal weight block design, manufactures build strong hitting power into the ball. Sort of took the sport out of it to a large degree.

In the early days of trying to make the ball more powerful, they used to do such things as drill a big hole through a 12 ball, plug the ends, and load 4 pounds of barium oxide in the middle for mass density.... sometimes the end plugs would break, spewing the BaO2 all over the lane. They also soaked plastic balls in solvent to soften them... mostly highly flammable methyl-ethyl ketone (MEK). After the 2nd motor home got torched from a MEK explosion behind a bowling center, the PBA banned the practice.
    In addition, soaking the balls would make them swell to be larger than specifications allowed. You'd see guys in the bathroom with heavy grit sand paper trying to make the ball smaller for inspection. Sometimes, when the weather was hot, the plastic balls would get too soft from the heat. Guys would be flushing them in the toilets to cool them off and make them read harder.

(Unless you're into bowling some, I'll bet this is a boring thread, huh? I guess I threw this out because I was reaching my 300th post on ET... 300 is always an important number to a bowler, you know. I once bought a ball whose last 3 serial numbers were "299". First time I used it I shot a 299.... should have grabbed the one whose number ended in "300". ) :D

#14     Jan 26, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

Well, you have certainly proven to be MORE than an expert. Now if we can find someone who knows half as much about trading as you do about bowling, we will all be set.

For the record, I really like bowling. But haven't done it in a while.
    When I was living in Las Vegas, I got into it. (I bowled a lot in junior high, but then didn't bowl for too many years to even think about).

So in Vegas, I bowled with guys I worked with. We got off our shift between 2 and 3 am, and would bowl. It was the only time the lanes weren't jammed with leagues. We had a blast!!!

And I can see what you meant about the technology changing the sport. The ball I bought has a completely different feel than what I remembered from my youth. And having broken my right wrist, I got a brace that was almost like cheating. And I have seen some braces that looked like they made a bowler almost like the bionic man. Heavy duty equipment.

Now I got the itch. All I need to do is find someone to go with me. Only 24 hour activity here (Boca Raton) is the bowling alley. I could get my son to go (maybe....would have to be a wierd hour so he wouldn't be embarrassed by being seen with his dad.. he's 17). Last time he went with me, he used the bumpers. Been a while. I know he goes and hangs out with his friends there. But they kick them out at midnight if they are under 18. (Don't know if he actually bowls, or just plays the video games and hangs out).I guess with a parent it would fly.

Super bowl is putting me too sleep. Worst one I remember since Washington played Denver ('92?).

Peace,
    Rs7

#15     Jan 26, 2003
  6. gnome

gnome

1. You WOULD have to bring up the Washington vs Denver Super Bowl with me being in Denver!!
    2. To get extra rotational power on the ball, you need a firm (if not slightly cupped) wrist. There are some bionic wrist supports, but virtually none of the top players today use them. I used one only for a couple of months.

Well, I guess this thread is about to die. I've had my 15 minutes of fame on Super Bowl Sunday ( probably because the game was a rout and the guys thought they'd have as much fun goofin' on ET.)

I probably know 1/2 as much about trading as bowling, so maybe I'll start a new thread next Sunday. LOL! :D

#16     Jan 26, 2003
  7. oh... I forgot about them, hehe

#17     Jan 26, 2003