Bought from a possibly scam refurbisher on Amazon! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GotherL, Feb 11, 2020.

1. GotherL

GotherL

I saw an Intel Core i5-3470 selling on amazon for $150. The benchmark is around 6400, I thought that was really cheap offer and decided to buy it.

I saw the reviews there were some really bad ones like the computer failed to boot up or the Windows did not come with key etc but the positive ones seem to outweigh the negative ones.

Over the past 2 days I began to suspect the integrity of the reviews on Amazon that is when I discovered fakespot.com a website tracker for fake reviews. So I posted the url of the item on their site and it came up to say 71.7% of the reviews are reliable which isn't too bad. but I decided to check their other items and that's when I found that 2 of their best sellers had like a 30% reviews are reliable. That means, they're making 70% fake reviews just to get their rating high to deceive the buyer. What's even worse they just changed their name on amazon from refurbchoice to refurbanana in less than 24 hrs. Super sketchy!

I am almost certain now I just got scammed and the item isn't gonna come as described. I tried to cancel but I think it may have been too late. What should I do?

The item is FBA, fullfillment by Amazon as described here but the problem is.

Amazon's returns policy allows customers to return eligible FBA baby items in new, unopened condition without charge if they return the items within 90 days of receiving them. Amazon pays for the return shipping at no cost to you.

See further below in bold.

Computers and Electronics
    • New desktop, laptops, or tablets (excluding Kindle E-readers and Fires) purchased from Amazon.com that didn't start when they arrived, arrived in damaged condition, or is still in an unopened box can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
    • Amazon.com may test computers that are returned because they didn't start when they arrived and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product.
    • Any returned desktop, laptop or tablet that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering may result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product.
    • New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.
    This last line really worries me. This means amazon isn't gonna be responsible for my return since the computer is a refurbish one.

So what is my best option for me then? Looking at the 1st line again of their computer policy

New desktop, laptops, or tablets (excluding Kindle E-readers and Fires) purchased from Amazon.com that didn't start when they arrived, arrived in damaged condition, or is still in an unopened box can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.

If I return and unopened box before 30 days I get full refund or does the last line cancel this policy since it is a refurbish product so even if it is an unopened box it is still not covered by Amazon?

What if I just refuse the package altogether and ask for a refund what happens then?

Why does Amazon even allow untrusted refurbish computer sellers to sell on their site? What is even worse Amazon Fullfills them to make it seem like it is safe to buy when they actually don't cover the return policy. Seems like a huge loophole for a computer parts reseller to stock up on a bunch of broken pc inventory and swindle buyers of their money which is exactly what's taking place looking at the 1 star reviews.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Amazon is very generous when it comes to refunds. And they make it easy.
    • They refunded me counterfeit $350 Dark Shadows DVD set a few months after the return date had passed.
    • I would accept it - and check it out yourself.
    • Then decide if you are going to return it.

kmiklas likes this.
  2. GotherL

GotherL

But you didn't read the whole post where I mentioned this...
    New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.

That means Amazon is not responsible here for the return policy unless I am missing something.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Because amazon makes commission from these sellers.
    whether amazon is liable for fraudulent products sold on it's platform is another thing.
    like is the exchange or nasdaq liable for fraudulent companies that is sold or listed in the exchange?

as for fake reviews that is something amazon can do,,,fake reviews are considered FRAUD and deception and is illegal. the contract void. if it's fake reviews of a product or vendor has intention to mislead or deceive..fake reviews are illegal. it's misrepresentation.deception and misrepresentation is FRAUD. and contract is void.

the problem with these listed companies is in the SEC report all these companies have clause warns prospective investors their shares are risky and company may go bankrupt etc which or have a going concern in their SEC report before going bankrupt.

4. %%
    CUT your losses;
    might as well send it back anyway. AND even if they do, or do not , refund your cash; print in your trading plan '' cheap stuff+ cheap stocks are usually priced right- for a reason'':caution::caution:,:caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution::caution: I cut a loss on a lap top computer, past 200 days=good riddance

5. piezoe

piezoe

Why ask for advice here? Call Amazon! You'll talk to a real person. And they will explain your options. Amazon is the opposite of Comcast. Amazon is flourishing, Comcast is dying. And there is a reason.

6. ktm

ktm

If your call to Amazon doesn't get you the result you are looking for, you can dispute it with the credit card company. Just give them a call and tell them what's happening.

For you... you should know that something that is waaaaay too cheap on the interweb is very likely to disappoint you on arrival.

7. GotherL

GotherL

Ok thanks for the input. Looks like I was able to cancel it before they shipped it.

I won a $1000 gift card and was trying to find a Pc to buy. Looking at reburbish computers under $300 it seems like every listing on amazon has a 30% or less reliable review rate on fakespot. It's like the entire category is just one huge scam.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/hp...windows-10-professional-certified-refurbished

https://www.fakespot.com/product/hp...ied-refurbished-dual-monitor-support-hdmi-vga

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. Can you PM me about this?