Bottom fishing...Amazon

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cabin111, Nov 1, 2022.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Growth is sales, revenues, profits. Not warehouses. Those are expenses.

The 90s, 00's maybe even the 10's were about growth. Now it is all about profits and margins. They killed the competition. Lately it is put up or shut up.

#31     Nov 2, 2022
    engineering likes this.
  2. Cabin111

Cabin111

Agree to disagree...They have killed off K-Mart, Sears, J. C. Penny, and now they have their bullseye on the local mall.

In the near future those human pickers/pullers will become robots. Just like your hamburger flippers...Not cheap to develop.

They are competing for "the last mile". That takes capital...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    #32     Nov 2, 2022

3. Dunno, Microsoft has been a banger for decades (a few years off here and there lol). But, a banger for sure.

#33     Nov 3, 2022
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. The number of warehouses is irrelevant. I'm looking at shareholder returns. I'm not a real estate broker trying to sell them land.

I don't doubt that the overall size of the company will grow....
    But do you really believe it's going to grow to more than 4X it's current size any time soon? And have a good EPS when it gets there?

Amazon's operating expenses over the past couple years have been growing significantly faster than their gross profit.

It's not just about growth. Anybody can buy growth by compromising profitability.
    If I open a gas station selling gas for $1 a gallon, I'll have all the customers I can handle.
    If I the jack my prices up to try to recover all the money I lost selling gas at $1 a gallon, are people going to:
    a) pay the extra $2 a gallon above market price
    or
    b) buy their gas across the street

The comments about Buffet bring to mind a quote about his favorite holding period being forever. Holding forever doesn't work with a company that doesn't pay a dividend and constantly runs off and spends money on ideas that may or may not pan out.

Amazon has made some good moves (Prime) and some bad moves (Phone). Could 'fire' be a better name for a project that burned up $170 million?

I also think Amazon made a huge mistake by rugpulling AWS from Parler with 24 hours notice. That decision was clearly designed to cause harm to one of their paying customers. You'd have to be freaking retarded to build your business around AWS now. Even if you and everyone you associate with are on the right side of their politics today, their politics could shift in a heartbeat.

#34     Nov 3, 2022
  5. Silvi_26

Silvi_26

#35     Nov 3, 2022
  6. maxinger

maxinger

Be careful mister.

Just imagine those who bought it at 180.
    AMZN broke the neckline / important support line at 145.
    And they refused to cut loss.
    Now AMZN is at 180/2 = 90

Many Professional talkers and writers like to talk/write about
    holding stocks for decades so as to earn tons of money.

As of now, there is zero indication that AMZN is on the uptrend.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    #36     Nov 3, 2022
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

They did that more than 20 years ago. Amazon was started in 1994!!!!

They kept selling Wall Street the dream that one day they would be profitable. That dream came true once they started AWS. It is still the only thing that turns a profit.

If they find another AWS they will grow (profit-wise) again. If they don't better hope they starting paying dividends.

+ + +

As for employees doing much of the recent selling - IMO doubtful. AMZN not too long ago was a $1.7 trillion market cap. You don't get to be that big on a workforce (mostly 20-somethings, making sub-$50k, with a year or two of tenure) doing much of the buying.

#37     Nov 3, 2022
  8. and boom...more beat down on amzn....u fellas made any money following my trade yet?

dumb money - btfd.

smart money - short it!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” - aristotle

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    #38     Nov 3, 2022
  9. Cabin111

Cabin111

The day after we bought, my wife and I decided to do a covered call for Jan 23 $100. ...We would have got about $6.50 for it, but we were short by about 10 cents above, before the drop.

I usually don't like the Motley Fool...It's OK, but I wouldn't pay money for it. This one was free for now. Just gleaned some interesting info. You decide...

Amazon still isn't as profitable as many investors would like it to be, but that's largely because the company is still investing for growth. Capital expenditures were $66 billion in the last year as the tech giant added new warehouses and data centers for AWS, but the company expects those expenses to come down. CFO Brian Olsavsky indicated as much on the earnings call, saying, "As far as new normal, we're working very hard to make sure that current profitability is not the new normal, and we'll see how quickly we can make improvements."

There's no doubt the fourth-quarter guidance is disappointing for investors, but it's a mistake to think the current challenges will last forever. With macro headwinds likely to be temporary and profit centers like advertising still growing rapidly, the company should be significantly more profitable a year from now.

#39     Nov 3, 2022
  10. %%
    Better than a 10 bagger/ by far;
    good thing Bill Gates scaled out for many years.
    Mine stocks like VALE + XLE sector have done better by far this year.
    NOT that i would buy + hold any of those in a down trending bear \
    even lower iron price + more supply can lower profits.
    NO problem there/ but i aim to never let a profit turn into a loss.
    EVEN when things go better , a 10%+/ gap up/ can mess up SPXS for day or many more days trend ; same way with VALE + XLE sector.:caution::caution:

#40     Nov 3, 2022