Both parties not serious about deficit; $750 billion wasted per year in health care

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tmarket, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

Its hard to imagine costs ever coming down as long as the end user has no incentive to keep costs low.

On top of that, they mandate the employer pick up some of the cost. You could not design a more fucked up system for healthcare.

#31     Dec 26, 2012
  2. jem

jem

note... I re read this... when I said only... I mean single payer vs what Obama created.

Creating what Obama did and then forcing people to buy insurance... was a disgusting and I still believe unconstitutional sell out by the dems.

#32     Dec 26, 2012
  3. pspr

pspr

Don't offer a challenge to the democraps like that. They might take you up on it.

#33     Dec 26, 2012
  4. maxpi

maxpi

Very astute.

We didn't need the healthcare bill at all. We needed Democrats to stand up to insurance companies and make them behave like good citizens. Before the healthcare bill 85% of Americans had insurance and were satisfied with it. The biggest problems were from insurers that could cancel a policy as soon as a person became ill, no? Of course the job of the democrats is to "level the playing field" between producers and welfare recipients and they don't care if it's done by tearing down the healthcare for producers..

We are going to wind up with two tiered medicine; fakey cheap stuff to keep the welfare class voting for Democrats and pay as you go stuff for producers.

#34     Dec 26, 2012
  5. piezoe

piezoe

With regard to the public option, actually zdreg is technically right! One of the few times I've agreed with him, sorta! Technically, it was not the Republicans, as I stated in a post above, but the Democrats, as zdreg stated, who killed it. Specifically, it was Pelosi, who took it out of the Bill on reconsideration in order to get enuf votes in both the House and Senate to pass the reconciliation version. It was in the original bill debated and passed in the House with the Stupak-Pitts amendment attached. Stupak-Pitts was a joint Democrat-Republican nut-wing supported amendment that allowed the House to pass the original House Bill which included the Public option.

None off this however invalidates the truth that it was the Republicans who really killed the Public Option. A bill with that provision was going to be virtually impossible to pass in both Houses, mainly due to strong Republican opposition in the Senate to a Bill with both the Stupak-Pitts amendment left intact and a Public option. The public option was a casualty of the negotiating process needed to get a reconciliation Bill passed by both houses, and the Truth is it was strong Republican opposition that made passing a Bill in both Houses that contained the Public Option virtually impossible. The Republicans claimed that inclusion of the Public opposition would have been the death kneel for the private Health Insurance Industry. I suppose they were right about that!

Let us recall Obama's position: " the public insurance option would have to be self-sufficient and rely on the premiums it collects. But by avoiding some of the overhead that gets eaten up at private companies by profits and excessive administrative costs and executive salaries, it could provide a good deal for consumers, and would also keep pressure on private insurers to keep their policies affordable and treat their customers better."

Let us also recall that in order to calm down the Stupak-Pitts bunch, and to get Stupak's vote on the final Bill, Obama promised he would issue an order preventing public money from being used for abortions.

Senate Republicans operated like a well oiled, but wrong-headed machine, whereas Senate, and House Democrats behaved like a pack of feral cats.

Whatever you may think of Nancy Pelosi, she was highly skilled at getting complex, difficult to pass legislation through both Houses. Much better, I must say, at compromise then her likeable successor, John Boehner, has so far been.

#35     Dec 28, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Why do you people keep complaining?
    We got the best government money can buy.

#36     Dec 28, 2012
  7. Guess you missed the Supreme Court ruling, it's constitional.

#37     Dec 28, 2012
  8. BSAM

BSAM

I believe Obamacare will either be removed via a later administration or will go back and be removed via the supreme court.

THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT TELL YOU WHAT TO BUY!

#38     Dec 28, 2012
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Maybe they shouldn't, but that would mean the end of government. They tell you to buy a piece of 2500, F22's, for example, and part or all of thousands of other things that you must buy from private for profit companies. You either buy them or the government will put a lean on, or seize, property that you own. Why should they not tell you to buy insurance? Or do you prefer not having a government.

Or perhaps you think there are some things it is OK for the government to tell you to buy, but not other things. How do you decide what it's OK to be forced to buy and what's not? Maybe you would like a court to decide. But I think they may already have decided.

#39     Dec 28, 2012
  10. BSAM

BSAM

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say, but the terms "common sense" and "www.lp.org" come to mind.

#40     Dec 28, 2012