Boring stock trade and option...NWE Northwestern Corp.

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cabin111, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

Just looking for income. With the market reaching for the skies, I'm just looking for boring (fairly stable) income. A utility in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Montana. I've owned this company before. They do have one coal generating electric plant that they will need to shut down, but they have been making plans for that for years.

Bought 100 shares in my trust account...$56.55 I then did a covered call for the March 22 $60. I got $1.35 ($135.00) for the call. It has a 4.38% dividend that I'll be collecting soon. Nothing to write home about...

2. ET180

ET180

Only concern about that investment is inflation. Commodities used to produce energy are going up and not sure that utilities have the flexibility to immediately pass those costs on to consumers without government approval. Rising energy + government sponsored greenflation might make TAN a good investment. Still like XOP and OIH. I think oil goes higher.

dianascott likes this.
  3. Cabin111

Cabin111

Yeah, already have a lot of XOM, BP, PEO, BG, ADM. I am always looking for inflation protection. At some point I need to look for value and income...I'm 66 1/2. They declared their dividend and I'll get the option money. Holding money in a money market account is like holding a hot potato at this time...

4. ET180

ET180

Yes, very true. I like ADM, ZTS, and DE as well. You might be interested in this:

https://farmtogether.com/

Have not invested with them, but I'm looking into it as a way to diversify.

5. Cabin111

Cabin111

Just sold my farm last year...Have been into farming pretty much all my life.

I've looked at LAND and FPI. They have a lot of holdings in California...Where I live and have farmed. Most of their land in CA is in very poor locations...They are good locations, but a lack of water is creating problems. People invest in those two stocks, but they don't see how bad the future is with their California portfolios.

ET180 likes this.
  6. Cabin111

Cabin111

NorthWestern Corp
    $57.64
    1.36%
    +0.77 Today

I have shared this idea before.

I am not a conspiracy theorist...No tin hat...But please here me out. Many times I post a trade on this site and the stock will go up. We know there are tens of thousands of pension fund employees (private, public, foreign) who want/need to gain a edge for their funds. For most, their bonus rides on the quality of their work.

We also know the market has shot to the moon (throw a dart at almost any stock and it will rise).

These people will look everywhere for ideas...Including here. Many ideas are rejected...Some hold value. Most of my investment ideas are boring and pretty safe.

Just wondering if my ideas are looked at and are some run with?? Not an ego stroke...Listen to all ideas. If some make sense, run with it...

I'll say this...I look at the Royce Family of Funds. Many times I will poach some of their ideas (top ten holdings) for my own. I've grabbed the idea of investing in Coke from Warren Buffett. Just my thoughts...

ET180 likes this.
  7. ET180

ET180

Thanks for sharing. FarmTogether looks interesting for farmland exposure. But like LAND and FPI, I don't know how good the land actually is. Figure if it was really good, a fund or someone who knows how to value farmland would have already purchased it.