Boredom

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Duref Mudgins, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Is the chart merely a(u,r)tistic or does it mean something?

#11     Mar 13, 2012
  2. Of all the emotions that drive humanity, I think boredom is the biggest driver, and unfortunately never gets any credit.

I think I could really use your Boredometer Indicator -- it would help me figure out when I'm not entering a trade from a plan setup but out of boredom.

#12     Mar 13, 2012
  3. haha :D

Looking at one instrument all day can get boring. Even a beast like oil can be like watching paint dry at times. Watching multiple markets and the "global money flow" helps take the boredom away.

Making money should be the priority over thrills anyhow though.

#13     Mar 13, 2012
  4. BSAM

BSAM

I'm sure brother Duref would have responded by now, except he could have fallen into a state of unconsciousness.
    Although not always, but oftentimes, one falls into that state due to alcohol or exhaustion; sometimes both.
    Sometimes a woman is involved.

#14     Mar 13, 2012
  5. I suggest that you develop your own personalized boredom metric, because mine measures the mean boredom of the ensemble of bored traders. So far in my attempts to rationalize the utility of my new invention, I have found that there is a somewhat fuzzy maximum value of boredom attained during the midday doldrums. This indicates that soon nothing will not happen, often quite vigorously, taking the somnolent by surprise. The boredom metric also is useful for determining if la foule believes that the current direction of price is valid or not. I have also seen cases where boredom dramatically decreases with no change in price, indicating that the non-bored know something we don't. So you see, you are better off developing an idiosyncratic metric.

I have one such myself based on the following behaviors, which you may relate to:

the sudden urge to google "(insert your favorite actress's name here) squirrel shot"

inability to resist tapping the ET bookmark to verify for the nth time today that ET is a useless resource for trading

wondering if you can beat your own record and get off six times in an hour

making a random entry to see if money management really does work.

#15     Mar 13, 2012
  6. And ideally it is the woman who has fallen into a state of drunken exhausted unconsciousness. I have to trade tomorrow.

#16     Mar 13, 2012
  7. The approach you describe is for highly intelligent traders, not for those reading this. But even with my own limited intellectual horsepower I do watch the correlation du jour, 6E. As my boredom grows, I think I see NQ driving 6E, not the other way around. When that happens, I go in the back yard and shoot something to verify the proper order of cause and effect.

#17     Mar 13, 2012
  8. I like your style :)

#18     Mar 13, 2012
  9. DM,

as you navel gaze at equities going nowhere, forex continues to post more ticks per minute than stock jocks will ever see in a year.

we also don't close up the shop at 4 bells.

you can get a hit off the needle 24/6.

cheers,

s

#19     Mar 14, 2012
  10. Attached is a clear example of the utility of the boredom metric. Price is rising modestly, but boredom increases, suggesting disbelief, or skepticism, or disinterest, or knowing better. Price reverses and boredom decreases.

#20     Mar 14, 2012