Boredom in Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by WmWaster, Jun 13, 2006.

1. 4re

4re

Very good site. I liked the one What if Bush was a Jedi.

#41     Jun 22, 2006
  2. But that's what we need to do - patience.

Strike the best high-probably opportunities, NOT every opportunity.

#42     Jun 22, 2006
  3. As a long-time trader, boredom is a problem. Repetition is the cause, like a worker making shoes every day.

Trading is no longer exciting to me. :(
    Most things are certain.

I'm stuck in the middle, going nowhere.

#43     Jun 22, 2006
  4. The best answer is to train a no-paid robot assistants to trade markets for me.

Who are they?

Automated system!

My next target!

#44     Jun 22, 2006
  5. Yes thats true, just tough to do at 5am in the dead of night

#45     Jun 22, 2006
  6. Yes, that's a problem.

Theoretically, I could spot every valuable opportunities when I read the chart.

But the reality is I may miss quite a few opportunities for all sort of reasons - boredom, go to toilet, mistakes (eg buy instead of sell), phone call, people and so on.

These factors have to be counted when you estimate how much profits you can get in real trading.

#46     Jun 22, 2006
  7. If I'm in the market I'll surf slickdeals or fatwallet for stuff I don't need that's on sale, work out, or watch random videos on YouTube.

If the market isn't presenting any opportunities, and I'm in cash I try to get away from the screen to avoid the temptation to make a boredom trade. I'll go out for lunch, drop by my parent's place, go swimming, go biking or take a walk in the park.

#47     Jul 2, 2006
  8. yes, a very common conundrum, mine is further amplified since I only make 4-6 trades per month, waiting for 2nd sigma events. But I do papertrade analyses on various option spreads constantly and seek to come up with new or refined predictive models. This part I find exciting and look forward to on a daily basis. I go to the bookstore and read books on trading, math, stats, probability. Another great tip is to go to the engineering section and read a book on design of experiments or uncertainty. Using probability, stats, uncertainty via scientific method has yeilded the best results for me as opposed to the popular textbook methods.

#48     Jul 2, 2006
  9. #49     Jul 3, 2006
  10. tireg

tireg

I hate you.

#50     Jul 4, 2006