Bordom and over-trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by GD2KNO, Dec 26, 2002.

1. My most profitable months trading have days that go like this:

Start trading 8:30AM
    Finish trading 10:00 AM

Play video games immediately after trading.
    (This is the key)

Go to the gym and lift weights

Write in my journal about how I made money that day.

Play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

Hang out with ladies

#11     Dec 30, 2002
  2. Reitberg, that's a lifesyle I think I could get used to!!:D

I am assuming those times are Eastern, meaning you trade from one hour before the open until half an hour into the regular trading session.

#12     Dec 31, 2002
  3. Where do you go snowboarding? Do you like it more than skiing?

#13     Dec 31, 2002
  4. GD2KNO

GD2KNO

MY GUESS IS THAT IT IS CENTRAL TIME AND CATCHING THE MORNING MOVE. THE FIRST HOUR AND A HALF I'M ALWAYS AHEAD, BUT WHEN I WAS TRADING ON MY OWN THE BORDOM WOULD START TO SET IN MID-DAY AND MY BELIEF THAT I'M REALLY GOOD, AFTER DOING WELL IN THE A.M. WOULD KICK IN. THEN MY TRADES WERE AHEAD OF MY SIGNALS IN ANTICIPATION WORKING TO GET THE "BEST" ENTRY.

BY THE END OF THE DAY I GAVE IT ALL BACK, PLUS SOME.

THE PAST 5 MONTHS WITH "GUIDANCE" I FIND AFTERNOONS TO OFTEN BE THE MOST PROFITABLE TIMES

BUT, IF YOU NEED QUIT EARLY EARLY TO LEAVE MAKING MONEY, BY ALL MEANS DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

#14     Jan 2, 2003
  5. Yeah, those times are eastern.

And I think that you reduce your stress greatly if you do not spend a lot of time in front of the charting screens.

This is my opinion on day trading:

I think that trading can be a sickness, and I have the balls, some would say the audacity, to say that you shouldn't spend that much time trading if you want to play this game for the long haul.

I do not think that working long hours trading is to one's benefit. I've had so many traders tell me that I should work more during the trading day; I have tried their game and lost money. Furthermore, I believe that there is nothing wrong with hitting singles and doubles everyday if you can pull it off consistently. Not only do I pay off my rent in 1-2 days, but I can do whatever I want wth all of my free time. And the best part of it all is that I feel good about myself most of the time because I'm makin' money most of the time. I don't know if I'll ever be able to trade without emotions and sit there all day firing off scalps. Maybe someday, but for now I going to stick to what works.

#15     Jan 2, 2003
  6. so early in the morning (8:30-10:00 EST)? Stocks, futures (rather doubt it)?

#16     Jan 2, 2003
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You're absolutely right. So many traders who do well in the morning (or claim to) give so much of it back in the afternoon, or, if they don't do well in the morning, they try to "make it back" in the afternoon.

There's a lot to be said for working for two hours and taking off for the rest of the day, assuming that you have a life (and not everybody does). If what you're doing is profitable and satisfying, don't allow yourself to be talked into trading all day just so you can be a "real trader".

--Db

#17     Jan 2, 2003
  8. actual trading is one of those things were success is sometimes inversely proportional to the time spent doing same. i ALWAYS walk when i have a nice gain, or hit my loss limit for the day.

best,

surfer:)

#18     Jan 2, 2003
  9. Depends where you are.

Here in San Diego

Grab a few co-workers and split the cost/effort of driving. 3 hrs to Big Bear and Snow Summit, Snow Valley and Bear Mountain.

and to 2nd question yes.

traveled elsewhere.

#19     Jan 2, 2003
  10. Used to do it all the time.

I still stop if I hit a daily loss limit but when I have a gain. I've learned to press hard.

Makes for much larger big days.

Robert

#20     Jan 2, 2003