Booting up issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 9999, Mar 25, 2007.

1. 9999

Hey guys,
    I'm having a boot problem I can't fix. I have 2 hard drives, the master with 2 partitions both running Win 2k Pro, and the second hd for storage. To make my life more interesting, I got a copy of Win XP 64bit, installed it on the master's first partition (erasing the first one) and then installed Win 2k Pro on the slave's first partition, and keeping another one for storage. Yes, I know, it was a stupid idea. The problem is that now XP 64 won't start, telling me that ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. I copied it from the OS's cd, and the boot.ini file looks fine. Still no go.
    At this point, I'm looking for a utility that can manage the partitions and the boot sequence without me messing around, since I'm getting tired of this.
    Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome.
    Thank you all in advance.

2. GTS

GTS

Have you tried running the repair process from the 64bit XP installation CD? It may be able to fix the boot process.

Edit: Found this: http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1206474,00.html

3. 9999

Yes, I tried to run it but it needs the Emergency Disk Repair, which of course I forgot to make. I used the recovery console and tried to fix it manually from there, but nothing.
    Guess I'll have to junk it...

4. GTS

GTS

You dont need the ERD to run the processes I listed above (FIXMBR & FIXBOOT ) - did you try that?

5. 9999

A few min ago. Still nothing.

6. GTS

GTS

Install a second copy of 64bit XP in a small spare partition on the first drive - once that is up and working you will be able to edit the boot.ini file so that the original 64bit XP partition is available for booting

7. 9999

Tried that too, I can edit the file from here.
    The path looks correct, but it still doesn't work.
    I'll try to change some values.

8. MR.NBBO

MR.NBBO

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000492.htm

Norton partition magic has PQboot for windows, which can help manage what you boot. A so-so, app from what I remember.

I ghost a lot, so this isn't a very good option for me, though.