Boot Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by justrading, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Its trying to tell you whats broken
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

#11     Feb 14, 2013
  2. I use acronis to back up computer to separate disk.

#12     Feb 14, 2013
  3. A couple of years ago, a huge number of bad quality electrolytic capacitors got into the market (it's a story all by itself), and they still cause beaucoup problems.

I had a Samsung monitor fail, and that was the problem. Replaced two electrolytics for a couple of dollars and saved a couple of hundred.

So if you feel like fooling with it, it could be worth it.

#13     Feb 14, 2013
  4. I had a dual oven control panel board fail. Checked on the net... common problem for that model. Apparently heat caused a capacitor to break down.... Imagine that, HEAT... in an oven!

Possible fixes... (1) have a repair service replace the board on site... $600. (2) Replace the board myself with a new board ordered online, $120. (3) Replace the capacitor with one bought at Radio Shack... <$3.00. (Unsolder the old, replace with new, resolder.)

#14     Feb 14, 2013
  5. 1 long 2 short seems to be video failure, but I think this is more than just video. I've had video failure on a laptop before, made all the usual noises but no video. Now the DVD is not working either.

Anyway, will take it in and advise when I know.

#15     Feb 14, 2013
  6. Daal

Daal

For these prices it might be better to buy 3 $40 boards instead of 1 high end even if they break every couple years, then replace when they do

#16     Feb 14, 2013
  7. I suppose that would depend on how quickly one could get it fixed. Here Acer typically says 1 week, though the last time pleading got it down to 4 days. That was under warranty so perhaps they made the effort out of some sense of pride.

I've long wanted a quality custom build, now I'm contemplating a Dell, not sure OptiPlex or Precision, simply because I could get it faster. I doubt the value for money would be as good as a custom build though.

#17     Feb 14, 2013
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Look up the mobo prices on Ebay. Usually you can get one for $120. If so, you can change it for yourself, it is really not that hard. The guy at the shop will ask $60 just to look at it and you will end up paying $300+ for the whole mobo change...

I even changed mobo in a laptop, way more tricky than a desktop, because parts can break easier, but as long as you write down the order and take pictures of the taking apart process, you should be able to put it back together... :)

#18     Feb 14, 2013
  9. Figure out what BIOS you had, the Google that plus your beep codes.

Some system check is failing.

#19     Feb 14, 2013