Books - Spiritual Flavor

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by daniel_m, Sep 23, 2002.

1. :D :D :D :D :p :p :eek: :eek: :eek: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YOU ARE THE MAN PLAT!!!! 3rd time now!

#11     Sep 25, 2002
  2. MS,

Capra's work also opened many doors for me! If ever you would like to chat about this book -- YOU JUST LET ME KNOW!

PEACE my brother,
    Commisso

#12     Sep 25, 2002
  3. Krishna would do every trader a world of good IMHO:D

Fortunately or unfortunately I came to this ancient Hindu scripture looooong after Krishnas wisdom came to me through the market, BUT reading chapter 4 lines 18-24 put chills up my spine :cool: Emerson once said that he owed a magnificent morning to The Gita -- I owe many :)

~Yoga of Action~
    18.The wise see that there is action in the midst
    of inaction and inaction in the midst of action.
    Their consciousness is unified, and every act is
    done with complete awareness.

19.The awakened sages call a person wise when
    all his undertakings are free from anxiety
    about results; all his selfish desires have been
    20.consumed in the fire of knowledge. The wise,
    ever satisfied, have abandoned all external
    supports. Their security is unaffected by the
    results of their action; even while acting, they
    21.really do nothing at all. Free from expectations
    and from all sense of possession, with mind
    and body firmly controlled by the Self,
    they do not incur sin by the performance of
    physical action.

22.They live in freedom who have gone beyond
    the dualities of life. Competing with no one,
    they are alike in success and failure and content
    23.with whatever comes to them. They are
    free, without selfish attachments; their minds
    are fixed in knowledge. They perform all
    work in spirit of worship, and their karma
    is dissolved.

~The Bhagavad Gita, as translated by Eknath Easwaran~

PEACE and good trading Indie,
    Commisso

#13     Sep 25, 2002
  4. Cesko

Cesko

This is a recuring subject. Total detachment doesn't mean becoming a bum. I might say I had a glimpse of a total detachment ( after years of YOGA), it's really scary but not because I would be giving up on life. It's scary because after that you really understand your prior "I" (ego structure) ceases to exist. For the first time you will understand what it means you have to die before being reborn

P.S. Anybody who thinks this is a psycho-bubble that's OK. I expect that.

#14     Sep 25, 2002
  5. Yep Cesko,

Submission or "detachment" does not imply passive resignation.

"Teach us to care and not to care..."

And if they did not laugh then......:D

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

#15     Sep 25, 2002
  6. what is the purpose of this self-detachment? in what way is a person changed after reaching this level of detachment? in what way is his life better?

what i am getting at, is what benefit is there for a person to seek detachment?

i hope i don't get some answer like, "what! you only want detachment of your own selfish reasons!". yes. the only reason i would be interesting in seeking this so called detachment would be if my own life, and my ability to positively impact the lives of those i care about, was beneficially impacted.

#16     Sep 25, 2002
  7. Dan,

You have already achieved a state somewhat similar to the one that Krishna is pointing at in the passage :)

Read the above passage again and then relate it to some of the micro/macro talks we have had.

Detachment to the fruits of ones actions? hmmmm now how would that help to dispel some of the psychological hindrances a trader experiences when he is attached to the micro-level results hmmmmm?

Where does hesitation stem from right before the moment of action? How about fear? How about elation and over-confidence Dan? How about "over" trading Dan? You ask how can detachment from the results of ones actions better a trader and I ask you how it can't?

PEACE Danny Boy,
    Commisso

#17     Sep 25, 2002
  8. So glad you got back into the debate Daniel - thought we'd lost you there for a while. There's nothing wrong with asking 'Whats in it for me?".

The reason anyone might want detachment is that it leads to great skill in action. With detachment whatever you are doing, you can SEE STRAIGHT unencumbered by the various debilitating emotions that make us all do wierd things. Have you ever messed up a trade because you were influenced by fear or greed or worse still deluded by your ego into beleiving you KNEW which direction the market was going in?

With detachment you can see everything for what it is. You can act without being influenced and unleash the power of your own awsome consciousness.

other minor side effects: happiness, joy, peace, FREEDOM.

Detachment is the dispeller of delusion.

All the best.

:)

Indie

#18     Sep 25, 2002
  9. lemme see if i get this. "detachment" helps to see things as they "really are", and as a result, (among other things) we are able to increase our skills in action? have i got that about right?

i'm not really sure then where the "detachment" really comes into it. surely thinking rationally and critically on a thing allows us to see it "as it really is"; or, as i'd prefer to say, to understand a thing more accurately. seeking "detachment" for such a simple (yet rarely practised, it seems) task is somewhat superfluous if you ask me.

"minor side effects". lol. are not peace, joy, happiness and freedom some of the most highly valued and sought after "effects" in the history of the world?
    if these are minor, what, pray tell, do you consider the "major" benefit of "detachment" (as you know it) and spirituality (I'm assuming the two are intertwined)?

could i get a comment on how one actually achieves this detachment you speak of? by what process? and how does one know when he's detached, or detached enough?

#19     Sep 25, 2002
  10. i wasn't really talking so much about trading. i had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that those who espoused detachment sought to live their whole lives in this kind of a state - a state that was in some way different to that that the "attached" lived, and wanted to know what benefit this brings to a person.

if we are just talking about detachment as a tool to better manage our emotions, then, yes, i am in complete agreement that it is indeed beneficial. (but as far as elation goes, i find it quite a desirable state!:))

as i asked in my previous post, could you comment on any specific methods you employ to achieve a state of detachment?

#20     Sep 25, 2002