Books on technical analysis that have simple trading systems in them

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Chuck Krug, May 2, 2008.

1. I emailed Mark Douglas and didn't expect a response.
    To my surprise I got a response from Paula Webb
    and she recommended these sites:
    tradingliveonline.com
    woodiescciclub.com
    hawkeyetrading.co.uk
    tradethemarkets.com
    tradingtutor.com
    sharefinder.com.au

#31     May 7, 2008
  2. there have been some good books and sites mentioned. so here is a tip. pick one book. just one. doesn't matter which one.

read it till you understand it. then check the biblographyand pick another one. and keep this up till you start reading the same thing over and over. by this time, you should have a fundamental understanding of the process.

now through everything away and sit down in front of the monitor with a chart. no indicators. and watch. and soon those little blips will start to talk and you will know what to do.

#32     May 7, 2008
  3. gaj

gaj

much of that became advanced trading strategies...

if you're looking for the how markets really work book, tm still has it on their website. saw the link, passing it on here:
    http://images.tradingmarkets.com/HMRW/HMRW.pdf

tradethemarkets = john carter = book mastering the trade, which (i think?) i forgot to mention in my earlier post. i found it to be a good book, but carter has many detractors; search et for why. i can't vouch for the pros or cons of any of it.

tradingtutor = larry pesavento. he's involved with fibonacci and patterns / symmetry, latest book is trade what you see. it's clearer than his previous books. tradingliveonline looks to be related as well.

i hadn't heard of hawkeye, but the website is gone. you can see it by going to:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070308135319/www.hawkeyetraders.com/

i hadn't heard of sharefinder either, it appears to be a black box? i'm always skeptical of a black box that's sold, however.

#33     May 7, 2008
  4. i just browsed through 6 books and i still haven't found what i'm looking for.
    really a simple MANUAL system/ method like one that goes :for example: buy when MA crosses, sell vice versa. Would construct one myself but that's not the point of the exercise.

#34     May 20, 2008
  5. HSC.1775

HSC.1775

While I would never trade the system myself, you might check out an old book, Stan Weinstein's "Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets." If I recall, he uses a daily and weekly time frame. You could take his method and trade it on a 10 minute charts.

It is as simple as it gets. Good luck.

#35     May 20, 2008
  6. thanks

#36     May 21, 2008
  7. Didn't you say you bought "trend following," by michael covel? It has EXACTLY what you are describing in the back of the book.

appendix A, p 266. "concept, moving averages."

look that up, read the whole section, then tell me how it deviates from what you are seeking.

#37     May 21, 2008
  8. i looked through it, must have missed it, will look at it again

thanks

#38     May 21, 2008
  9. Np. There is also a very old book called "trading as a business." by Charlie wright. that is filled with these types of basic systems.

You can get it used on amazon for about 9bucks.

[​IMG]

#39     May 21, 2008
  10. Wood474

Wood474

Chuck, as a couple of other people have said, some really good books mention. Marcel Links High Probability Trading is worth reading a couple of times. In a very simple format it explains how to approach the market. I would also recommend Mastering the Trade by John Carter. His website, www.tradethemarkets.com does get both good and bad reviews as he sells indicator packages which are easily programmed yourself and he has a members trading room etc. These kind of things do get bad press, HOWEVER, the book is actually really good with some great trade ideas, including how he uses moving averages, plus some other easy trade setups. He, like the link book, also suggests how you should go about approaching and reading the markets, which is a very similar approach to Link.

Now, realistically you're not going to find this simple trading system you're after. It's just not that simple. Although, it all can be very simple. I use moving averages alot and they work for me, but I've made them work for me and my style of trading. If you read the above two books thoroughly, both and easy read, you'll get a good outlook on how to read the markets. Then apply some simple methods such as the ma's and see what they show you. You can't expect to read some books and be up up and away, you still have to put in some time and adapting these simple trading methods to suit you.

What I can tell you is that something as simple as ma crossovers will kill you. 20 years ago it was the easiest trade ever. However, use ma's wisely, including crossovers, and you will have a system that works. But, you must understand what the market is telling you before you apply these techniques. So, read the books above. This will tell you how to approach the markets. See how they use ma's and then adapt this to suit your style. It is easy to find a system, you just have to make it work for you.

In the meantime, happy reading and good luck.

Oh yeah, Suri Dudellas book Trade Chart Patterns like the Pros, excellent. Worth having on your desk.

#40     May 21, 2008