Books on technical analysis that have simple trading systems in them

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Chuck Krug, May 2, 2008.

1. Michael Harris (www.tradingpatterns.com) has published 3 books that include detailed code for patterns in several different markets with well defined entry and exit points. Some patterns from his 1999 book are still profitable. His latest book will be out next month and includes a CD with system codes:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047022908X.html

I have pre-ordered it.

His software (APS) can find tons of patterns with well defined entry and exit points plus delay filters, multiple scan options, exit at the next bar close and many other features.

Bill

#11     May 3, 2008
  2. am really only trading to do the exercise from the disciplined trader p213
    'trade a simple trading system with well-defined entry and exit points.... This system does not have to be expensive. You can get one out of many of the books on technical analysis available today. I think it is important to buy one instead of devising one of your own because it it might be a little easier to stay focused on the objectives of this exercise.'

#12     May 3, 2008
  3. thanks bill,
    do you know if it has 1 or more systems in it that can be traded manually?

#13     May 3, 2008
  4. gaj

gaj

most of the tradingmarkets.com related books fit what you're looking for. examples include:

larry (laurence) connors books
    street smarts
    dave landry's books

hit and run (1,2) - jeff cooper

the effectiveness of some of these strategies has been reduced or gone away since their publication.

however, the reason they're quite useful to many traders is not necessarily the specific strategy, but the general principles behind them, and to see how others (may be) thinking.

i've found stuff on my own which was useful for my trading, and then realized "oh yeah, i read something close to that in (one of the books)".

#14     May 3, 2008
  5. ess1096

ess1096

I think what you are looking for can be found in "High Probability Trading" by Marcel Link.
    I highly recommend this book since it has not only what you are looking for but much, much more.

#15     May 3, 2008
  6. If you are a position or swing trader you can trade manually price patterns or systems based on other indicators. Actually, in his book Short term Trading with Price Patterns, Michael Harris presents a detailed manual methodology for signal tracking of price patterns. You can probably get a used copy from Amazon for $20 or less.

Bill

#16     May 3, 2008
  7. ronblack

ronblack

Michael Harris is one of the few real experts on this subject, his software is amazing and his books contain realistic and practical trading and risk and money management rules. His trading methods work and make money:

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/About_Us/articles/article3/article3.html

Ron

#17     May 4, 2008
  8. Murhpy's Book is great also

#18     May 4, 2008
  9. anymore suggestions?

looked at the summary of the books suggested and seemed that most books are about TA and/ or developing your own system.
    Although I could be wrong.

Am really just looking for a simple system/ method to trade manually

I'm definitely getting the covel book, wanted to read this one already.

#19     May 5, 2008
  10. Suri Duddella "Trade Chart Patterns Like Pros"

Pure price action set ups although not all mechanical. However for every pattern he has entry, stop and target defined. This book is good because it gets you thinking of the price action and the reasons the specific set up works rather then blindly following an indicator.

#20     May 5, 2008