Books on Options Trading

Discussion in 'Options' started by spanky1, Mar 17, 2019.

1. In addition to the above recommendations, I recommend options trading: the hidden reality by Charles Cottle. Another good practical book that is hardly mentioned is “ The options Doctor : option strategies for every kind of market “ by Jeanette Schwarz Young.

#11     Mar 23, 2019
    TradingDemystified likes this.
  2. LakeDog

LakeDog

I can't say that there is only one book that says it all. It's always helpful to get different perspectives to really firm-up yours. However, one book I have found very helpful is "The Only Options Trading Book You'll Ever Need" by Russell Stultz. Found it an excellent diverse resource, including discussions of FA and TA (although not in detail). Use it more as a quick reference to refresh my thoughts on plays to make.

#12     Mar 23, 2019
  3. Free really useful and challenging course here:https://21stcenturyinvestoreducation.com/page/tce/
    There are a lot of idiots who claim to trade options- RobinHood is the platform I believe. Avoid. Think about index options -equity options are random, but you may have an edge with the big movers

#13     Mar 24, 2019
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Regarding John Hull's book, I finished reading the sections on equity options. :thumbsup: Very well written and very useful. You should read John Hull's book if you are serious about options.

I found it very useful for analyzing my butterfly set ups.

#14     Apr 5, 2019
  5. I agree with all the recommendations so far (McMillan, Hull, Sinclair, Bennett (amazing), Natenberg, Cottle) and would only add "How to calculate Option Prices and their Greeks" by Pierino Ursone. It has helped me a lot to be able to do very quick calculations and estimations instantly without the need for any calculator/software. Very intuitive and practical.

#15     Apr 11, 2019
  6. Doobs789

Doobs789

Most options texts are garbage. Hull is the Bible, but no one is willing to do the work. Euan Sinclair is the exception. His work is geared towards the practitioner, rather than the academic. Plus he offers an elegant, intuitive derivation of BSM.

Option market making by Baird is legit too. Rebonato also good.

Anything by Natenberg or Taleb works well as a door stop or kindling.

#16     Apr 12, 2019
  7. ironchef

ironchef

I like Taleb. :D

#17     Apr 12, 2019
  8. Hi,

Bumping an old thread.

Did you finish Hull? How does it compares to Lawrence McMillan's book?

I was recommended McMillan's book by another member here and see that it's getting really great reviews. At the same time - I've always had my eyes on Hull for learning options.

Of course - there's nothing wrong with buying both either. :)

Thanks in advance.

#18     Dec 12, 2019
  9. .sigma

.sigma

Euan Sinclair just tweeted that he finished writing his new book. Not sure its title or exact topic (i'm sure and hope options)

But his other books Volatility Trading and Option Trading are great books and I suggest any aspiring trader who wants to trade options read his books. Yes it can get technical but you can just gloss over those parts and read what you think is important (obviously).

#19     Dec 12, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Actually I started with Lee Lowell's Get Rich With Options, then McMillan. Lowell is good for someone new to and knows nothing about options for it is very simple and easy to understand. His chapters on spreads and buying DITM options were eye opener for me. I stopped mechanically trading covered call and CSP after I read his book.

I read McMillan from beginning to end several times, bought and worked on the Study Guide. My complains on McMillan is it is only descriptive, lists the various strategies but without really getting into the guts of how to trade each strategy and why.

I have not finished Hull yet. I read all the chapters on options but none of the other derivatives yet. It is a step above McMillan IMHO because it gave me a deeper understanding of the behaviors of options and the relationships with the underlying.

If you have to pick one, get Hull.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    #20     Dec 12, 2019
    .sigma and Laissez Faire like this.