Books on Options Trading

Discussion in 'Options' started by spanky1, Mar 17, 2019.

1. spanky1

spanky1

Hello,

just registered, reside in Canada and I am looking for a good book that I want to purchase for a family member.

I have read reviews on ebay, amazon etc but it's pretty well split some good some bad getting nowhere so I came here for some help people with experience.

Thanks,
    for your time and help
    greatly appreciated

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

fan27 and Robert Morse like this.
  3. ironchef

ironchef

The best 5 minutes introduction to options:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/5-basics-of-options-in-5-minutes.330524/

Be sure to read the post by @tommcginnis :thumbsup:

I use the following books as my references:

1. Lawrence McMillan: Options As A Strategic Investment. This is my first serious book on options. If you read it cover to cover, you will get a good appreciation of all the different options, the strategies of each and if you are math inclined, it even has several chapters on the math of options.

2. Colin Bennett: Trading Volatility, Correlation, Term Structure and Skew. sle mentioned this book and I found it very insightful. You can find more specific practices and approaches compared to McMillan.

3. John C Hull, Options, Futures And Other Derivatives. I just bought this book and am in the middle of reading it, cannot comment on it yet.

4. Tomas Bjork: Arbitrage Theory in Continuous Time. I bought it based on someone here recommended the book. It was a mistake for me. You need a PhD in Mathematics to be able to understand the equations. But if you do you will become a real expert in option theory.

Welcome and best wishes to you

4. sle

sle

What they said, plus Trading Volatility by Euan Sinclair (or is it Volatility Trading?)

Baozi and tommcginnis like this.
  5. Felix168

Felix168

... and while trading is fun, it also good to brush up your math on option pricing. I found Espen Gaarder Haug's 'Complete Guide to Option Pricing Formulas' incredibly useful.

Cheers, Felix

6. This one used to be recommended a lot. Maybe it is out of print? Basic, but useful imho.

Option Volatility and Pricing by Sheldon Natenberg.

7. Shinjuku

Shinjuku

The Bible is Dynamic Hedging.
    Espen Haug's Models on Models is timeless as well.

8. When I got into options at the end of the year I read whatever free pdf books I could find online. I especially remember Get Rich with Options by Lee Lowell fondly, I sort of based my trading system on it.

9. oldmonk

oldmonk

In addition to what's been said, Advanced Equity Derivatives by Sebastian Bossu has some useful information.

#10     Mar 20, 2019