Books, Books, Books

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by J_Commisso, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Dan,

I have a good idea :)

Why don't you start a thread relating to N.L.P and how you have utilized it to enhance your performance in trading?

Also have you ever read any of Faulkner's work?

PEACE and good-trading,
    Commisso

#11     Sep 23, 2002
  2. I'd be interested in hearing what effect NLP has on on people's trading, as I have gone through Tony Robbin's material several times.

Kevin

#12     Sep 23, 2002
  3. He has an audio set, older, called Mentally Tough, but the material is the same. I often find it easier to listen to tapes in the car, than reading.

It's worth it, if you can find it. Loehr did a lot of work with tennis players, I found the tape set through a web site tennis store after a google search.

Kevin

#13     Sep 23, 2002
  4. Oh I think that is where I know that name from! I think there is a quote by him somewhere in one of my books; for the name really rings a bell...

I may check out his work -- thanks for the tip :)

PEACE and good-trading,
    Commisso

#14     Sep 23, 2002
  5. wahoo

wahoo

A little off the beaten path but its a field of psychology called memes (like genes to your genetic code, memes to your psychological code) and unlike genetics it argues psychology can be changed. So pick up a book on memes or transaction theory and see what I am talking about. Highly recommend
    Virus of the Mind by Richard Brodie.

Great recommendations listed above, Thanks!

#15     Sep 23, 2002
  6. Never heard of such a field of psychology -- sounds very interesting though. I think I shall check "memes" out :)

You reminded me of three excellent books written by two seperate neurologists;

Descartes Error; Emotion, Reason & The Human Brain -- Damasio
    The Feeling of What Happens; Body & Mind in the Making of Consciousness -- Damasio
    The Synaptic Self -- Ledeux

Very interesting reads if you are interested in the make-up and workings of the mind (not exactly psychology though)...

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

#16     Sep 23, 2002
  7. wahoo

wahoo

nahhh that stuff doesn't interest me..it works right? :D

Always enjoyed reading about decision making and the factors that influence them. First read about memes in a b-school class I was taking on organizational leadership...stresses positive action and decision to develop a positive habit aka meme or as some would say "the flow." Thought traders would enjoy something like that. (Damn i knew better than to make that trade!)

#17     Sep 23, 2002
  8. aargh...no more book lists...please...

ET should have a rule - each member can only mention three books in one thread...

"hey, btw, here are my 50 favorite books on blah blah blah....."

#18     Sep 23, 2002
  9. Pabst

Pabst

Afterall Bongrider, this is a message board. One need not read ,let alone subscribe to every thread posted. :D

#19     Sep 23, 2002
  10. Pabst

Pabst

Oh and a book by the way. A bestseller at the time (1967) "The Money Game" by Adam Smith. Not the Wealth of Nations dude, but a pseudonym for George Goodman, best known to you young guys as the host of PBS's Adam Smith's Money World." Set the tone for a lot of the more modern books mentioned on this thread.

#20     Sep 23, 2002