Book: The Misbehavior of Markets

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by jerryz, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Dear Nitro, you DO so love to overcomplicate things! Kindly tell me how all your math describes the agony of self-doubt which fills the minds of day traders who are long from a morning run when they are 30 minutes into a subsequent thee tick consolidation with steadily declining volume? Beads of sweat pop out as the interval between ticks lengthens. Fingers hover tremblingly over the Sell button. The urge to look away from the chart, to anywhere, becomes nearly irresistable. Only a blow job under the computer table or the blessed relief of a breakout will assuage the anxiety. You just want the market to MOVE, by now you don't care which way. Just end the waiting! With all due respect from a former applied mathematician. Mike.

#41     Oct 31, 2005
  2. Oh, and BTW, you shouldn't embarass yourself commenting on optimal filtering. A moving average indeed is an optimal solution to SOME problem, you just don't know WHICH problem that is. Even a lowly alpha filter is better than an MA. If you don't know the existence conditions for a valid Kalman filter and have never designed a multi-state one for the market or anything else, pipe down.

#42     Oct 31, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

Actually for mathematicians these maths are a simplification not a complexification - it is only seems complex to those that are not trained in it. For example, amongst the most complicated objects in all of mathematics to mathematicians are the integers. To us, they seem like the most natural objects.

The mathematics that you know in relation to what is needed to even start talking about market dynamics is say kindergarten level. The math that I know in relation to what is needed is probably not much more than that. The mathematics that _exists_ currently is probably barely enough to correctly set the right context for the problem, although as I have stated above I believe that multi-fractals and log-levy statistics are a first good approximation.

nitro

#43     Oct 31, 2005
  4. nitro

nitro

The markets embarras me everyday - I am well used to it.

I am aware of all of this. For my discretionary trading I much prefer moving averages and discretion to exponential average and discretion because I understand the problem, not because I do not.

nitro

#44     Oct 31, 2005
  5. Two interesting quotes from "Trillion Dollar Bet":

STAN JONAS: When do you admit that you're wrong, start all over again, or when do you hang on and assume that the markets will turn around in your way? That's the biggest decision we all have to make. However, there's one thing that's clear. Over the last several hundred years we've been able to identify some people that can do it better than others. They don't necessarily go to MIT; they don't necessarily have degrees in mathematics, though that doesn't automatically rule them out. They're the kind of people that can make that judgment that says, some thing's different here, I'm going back to harbor until I figure it out. Those are the kind of people you want running your money.

PAUL SAMUELSON: There is a tempting and fatal fascination in mathematics. Albert Einstein warned against it. He said elegance is for tailors, don't believe in something because it's a beautiful formula. There will always be room for judgment.

#45     Oct 31, 2005
  6. Finally we learned some of Hypo's secrets. Haha!:D

#46     Oct 31, 2005
  7. nitro

nitro

Einstein was not a mathematician, in fact he was a very poor one. It was Minkowski that set Special Relativity in the proper mathematical setting.

When he needed to develop a general theory of Gravity, he went off for nearly ten years to study the Tensor mathematics of the time. Only then was he able to correctly express the intuition of the Principle of Equivalence and go from stationary frames (Special Relativity) to accelerating frames (General Relativity).

nitro

#47     Oct 31, 2005
  8. Here is the answer from Einstein:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=161351&highlight=einstein+and+joke#post161351

#48     Oct 31, 2005
  9. That's a lot of knowing for a guy like you.
    Is that genuine nitro talk or Jack talk?

nononsense
    :confused:

#49     Oct 31, 2005
  10. Not to put too fine a point on it, Nitro, but here's a case today didn't require much math: a double top on lower volume. I took five ticks out of it in a scalp. A Cray would probably still be grinding out a fancy solution.

#50     Oct 31, 2005