Book recommendation request (Commodities )

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by joanar, May 15, 2021.

1. joanar

joanar

Looking to add some commodity positions to my portfolio to lower SPX correlation. Can anyone recommend a book or website that can give a good overview of different commodities, their supply/demand factors, global factors, growing/ harvest seasons etc?

Stratter and murray t turtle like this.
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Electrification of transport means metals are all going up for the next decade.

3. Vtechno

Vtechno

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  4. in my humble opinion, more important than books about commodities are books that change the way you see the world. to that end, here's a couple that helped me understand the world we live in: atlas shrugged, the fountainhead, and just for fun, life of pi.

5. Vtechno

Vtechno

OP - Market Wizards has some sections on commodity traders. Carley Garner has some intro books. Jim Rogers Hot Commodities is another recommendation.

murray t turtle and Tradex like this.
  6. Tradex

Tradex

If you are a beginner this book should give you the basics : A trader's first book on commodities: An Introduction to the World's Fastest Growing Market, by Carley Garner (about $20 on Amazon).

proftradingjourney and AvoDog like this.
  7. themickey

themickey

You are possibly tackling this the wrong way.
    Assume you think lithium is the 'go to metal.'
    You buy lithium stocks and they plummet because your timing was wrong or your stock selection was wrong.
    For beginners I'd suggest just compare a bunch of commodity charts with major indexes, that will be better than an out of date book.

johnnyrock and comagnum like this.
  8. Handle123

Handle123

I don't know of one book that has all that you ask. I started commodity trading in 1985 when hardly any of global information was taken into account. And now more so of metals I believe supply and demand is guessing game. I am very long term commodity trader seeking home runs, but also do trend trading and every position opening is hedged.

I think learning charting is best for few years and especially what most likely topping and bottoming formations occur on monthly, weekly and daily charts.

Grains and Meats are my favorites as charting is most consistent, along with doing spreads.

I still believe charts tell me all that I need to know.

Good luck.

9. Tradex

Tradex

There are a few low-risk spreads and unique seasonal patterns that offer steady and consistent profits in the commodity market.

To the best of my knowledge, one of the best experts in that field is Steve Moore, from Moore Research Center, Inc.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  10. A trader's first book on commodities: An Introduction to the World's Fastest Growing Market, by Carley Garner - With this I agree!

#10     Oct 20, 2022