Book or Website to learn the Basics

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Ian999, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ian999

Ian999

I am going to be in college, majoring in finance. I know a good amount about the stock market and I know a bit of techinical analysis. Is there a book or website where I can learn the basics about:

- bonds
    - treasuries
    - options
    - etfs
    - futures
    - forex

and some more complicated stuff like credit default swaps. I am reading the big short and I need to learn a bit more of the basics before I can fully understand a lot of stuff. I know about investopedia and babypips. Thanks in advance.

- Ian

2. jnbadger

jnbadger

I guess I'd search on amazon for "john hull", and look through the table of contents of Options, Futures & Other derivatives.

There are obviously tons of books on every one of those subjects, but an all encompassing one for what you're looking for may be hard to find.

Good luck.

3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I'm not sure what you mean by the "basics" but the exchange of many of these trading instruments has some "basic" information along with some "educational" courses.

For example...

http://www.cmegroup.com/

However, if you want to learn more "advance" information (implying trading methods)...many different forums have decent discussions about such but you're going to need to weed out the crap at these forums (e.g. Elitetrader.com) to prevent from being mislead and loss of time.

Mark