Book Discussions

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Lightningsmurf, Feb 11, 2003.

1. At the moment I'm reading through Nassim Taleb's "Fooled by Randomness," and it occured to me that we seldom talk about books beyond platitudes and abrupt opinions (good, bad, indifferent). I'm wondering if people would be interested in dicussing in more depth the books that we buy. The reality is, there is a LOT of overlap in our reading selections.

This could benefit people who haven't gotten the book yet by knowing what to buy, and hopefully helping those who have read it better appreciate the pro's and con's of the book in question.

Taleb's book might not be the best place to start, but I'm wondering if people would be interested?

2. Sittas

Sittas

Sure I'd be interested....
    What book would you like to start with?

Happy trading,
    Sittas

3. Count me in. Which first.

4. monee

monee

Zen and the Art of Poker

and

as usual Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
    and
    the Rounders movie also (I know, it's not a book).

If one could abide by all the points in Zen in the Art of Poker failure would be difficult to achieve.

5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Hi Smurf,
    I started the same book and would like to discuss it too:)

6. I'll start...

I enjoyed the book a great deal, but found the author almost to be a bit insecure as he mentioned and compared himself to Niederhoffer too much. It was like he felt he had something to prove.

7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I am going to read the first chapter tonight again. :)

8. Is Niederhoffer someone we want to compare ourselves to? Should we rate him more for his spectular rise, or for his spectacular falls?