Bono's BS

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Jan 26, 2007.

1. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

It's an interesting debate.

I think private charities are far better at getting bang of their donated buck than government outlays. For example, Buffet's money will be stretched far further in private hands than had it been confiscated via a punative tax structure and thrown into the general budget to finance a week or two in Iraq.

U2's only saving grace would be to pull a Buffet, otherwise they do look like hypocrites. Bono is a charitable guy, that much does seem clear, and few probably doubt he donates more than his fair share.

Personally, I think U2 is a bit over-rated. They can't hold a candle to bands like the Rolling Stones for sheer quality and quantity of outstanding Rock, but the world does need a Rock Star of Bono's character and moral standing.

#11     Jan 28, 2007
  2. jem

jem

I pretty much agree with pabst, but I did not have to buy the album the guys next door in my dorm played it everynight before they went to sleep.

Bono is acting like a liberal.

#12     Jan 28, 2007
  3. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

"acting like a liberal" ....

It's been suggested many times that debt relief for Africa simply perpetuates their problems... Corrupt, Unaccountable, Genocidal government. (who lends to regular defaulters, anyhow?)

To that extent, if accurate, I AGREE he is acting like your classic liberal, paving the road to hell with good intentions.

#13     Jan 28, 2007
  4. Oh, I am not surprised that you would agree with such a "rebuttal" given the logical fallacy it is based on...

Only the poor should speak for the poor in your world, but of course, who is going to put a microphone in front of a poor person, who would listen at all, which poor folks would get a pulpit, how well do poor folks do raising money for the poor...when if they could raise money, they would need to raise money to take care of their own situation. The truth is that in this time, of extreme materialism, capitalism, and selfishness it seems the wealthy are in the best position to speak for the poor and give them a voice. They can speak to the issues and get an audience and media to cover it, and then reasonably thinking, good and open hearted people can listen to the issues, and hard hearted right wingers can find something to hate about it.

The position you and your "rebuttal" issuer have taken is of course fundamentally illogical, and deeply lacking in common sense.

Thank goodness we do have some wealthy people who are not like you, so greedy that they live a moat protected life, and do nothing at all for those less fortunate...

Shoot the messenger, really, that is about half of what you are your ilk do around here...because it infuriates you that they actually do something good for the world with their money and time.

If Bono is a hypocrite, but his actions raise millions for charity, you find fault with that? Is Bill Gates less a charitable person, because he is also the wealthiest?

Seriously, why do you hate the poor so much?

#14     Jan 28, 2007
  5. We're coming to this issue from perhaps different life experiences.

I went to a Catholic school where priests took a vow of poverty. Some of these older Jesuits had come from wealthy families but now were living in dormitory type housing and driving around in Cavaliers. Their devotion made quite an impact on me.

Several years later when I was a local me and many of my ilk suffered from immense guilt. Driving home from work after my typical 5k day I usually pondered how lucky I was that I'd been born at the right time, right country, right city with incompetent floor brokers surrounding me to boot. Hence I was quite charitable. I was also prone to trading away, drinking away, snorting away and lending away my ill gotten gains. I much easier identify with someone who grew up like Bill Clinton than I do George Bush.

Knowing how my wiring works, I've had to adjust my gross material wants with the limited comfort level relative wealth allows me. IOW's I'm not the kind of person who if I won a hundred million would feel right with a yacht or private jet. I truly respect those who can accept and live with success.

Cat Stevens did the ultimate and folks look at him like he's crazy yet he's the truest charity giver in the history of pop. Yea Z, part of me believes sincerity of gift is an all or nothing thing.....

#15     Jan 28, 2007
  6. You are not alone on these boards as far as all or nothing thinking goes...fallacious as it is, and often the result of childhood thinking and conditioning not yet overcome.

Here is something else for you to chew on.

If we are really talking about hypocrisy, how about people who deride entitlement programs...yet participate in benefits from social services?

Look, if you are an all or nothing guy at heart, and you are opposed to any type of social programs that are paid for by taxes, why the heck are you living here?

I mean, if you truly opposes your tax dollars going to any programs you don't approve all, then move to a country that doesn't participate in taxation or social programs that you don't support...

See, when the shoe is put on someone's foot, it is actually pretty easy to find some contradictions in their lives between their rap and their act.

The point is that the act doesn't invalidate the truth of the rap...

Unless you have a full breakdown of where Cat Stevens royalty checks go, and what they go for, do you really know that he is the most truly charitable ever?

Do you really have exact details on how much money Bob Geldof has raised for his charitable works, or the money Sting has raised for his causes, or George Harrison in his mission to help Bangladesh?

The mission is what matters, not the other crap, or how much money someone has, or what they do with their money, and income.

It would be sad world if we were to restrict charitable efforts solely to those who decided to take a vow of poverty...

#16     Jan 28, 2007

7. Who said anything about "no tax"?

If it were left up to the catholics, everyone would be poverty stricken, except the church itself.

Has to be the greatest con of all time, work really hard, give us all your money, and well put in a good word for ya with the man upstairs. Whats that, your broke?Good thing your church is here to help! Here's a loaf of bread, so you can keep working- for us.

Gimme a break, U2 were damn close to ireland's biggest export earner for a while, the figures on that band are amazing.
    Bunch of hypocritical sour grapes.

Besides, all this charity/aid stuff is Bob Geldof's fault.
    :p

#17     Jan 28, 2007
  8. jem

jem

If you are going to preach it, you have to live it.

I used to respect Bono. Based on these facts I no longer respect him.

Its the same reason I have zero respect for Nancy Pelosi and Ted Kennedy. I lost respect for Bush for other reasons.

If I am the leader of a Western country and Bono comes in and tells me what to do with my peoples taxes, I would just put on my Ipod and sing "I am a sellout today."

#18     Jan 28, 2007
  9. If only you held right wingers to such high standards...

LOL jem, LOL...

#19     Jan 28, 2007
  10. jem

jem

I do.

You get my respect if you walk your talk. Even if you are a liberal bastard.

I have no respect for bozos like Rush or for the education guy who wrote a book about values as he was playing poker or clergy who engage in gay sex as they preach that homosexuality is wrong.

#20     Jan 28, 2007