Bono's BS

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Re the do/care distinction.

It's possible to care -- deeply -- but still not do. That's because sometimes there is nothing you can do.

On the other hand, someone who cares and is able to do, and knows he is able to do, but does not do cannot be said to really care. Eg If I say I care about my mother, but if she is drowning and I don't even throw her the life preserver laying right next to my feet, that is overwhelming evidence that I don't really care.

That's one way to look at it.

Also, there are degrees of caring. Not everybody that cares about one thing will care about all others things to the same degree. For example, in Austraia, two dead Australians will get the same media coverage as, say, 20 dead Britons, as 200 dead Russians, as 20,000 dead Africans. Media organizations, who are businesses, know their audiences, and they know that, despite what they might say, Australians don't care nearly as much about dead Africans as they do about dead Europeans.

#181     Feb 10, 2007
  2. N.D. House rejects bill to honor Bono

Fri Feb 16, 8:06 AM ET

Bono has plenty of fans. But don't count North Dakota lawmakers among them.

Lawmakers in the House defeated a resolution 58-35 Thursday to honor the U2 frontman for his advocacy of debt relief for Third World countries, saying the Irish rocker had no connection to the state.

Fargo state Rep. Scot Kelsh, who sponsored the measure, said he got the idea for the resolution from a magazine published by the National Conference of State Legislatures, which mentioned that no state at the time had approved a resolution to honor the singer.

"This is something that does matter to us as citizens of North Dakota, the United States, and the world at large," Kelsh said.

Rep. Gil Herbel, a Republican, said he initially thought the resolution referred to Sonny Bono, the former singer, Republican congressman and husband of Cher.

"When I saw the resolution, I was looking for Cher's name in there," Herbel said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/ap_en_mu/people_bono&printer=1;_ylt=AgdKPPElRTh2jMgv5XB8pwYnHL8C

#182     Feb 16, 2007
  3. #183     Feb 16, 2007